cold water regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy j

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had a scuba pro mk2 regs for years and up to now they have been bomb proof. I know its not a cold water rated reg but at what temp do you think i might have to start getting problems.
Reason i am asking is i am going to scapa flow in november so i want to get sorted in plenty of time

Orkney's in November and 30-40+m......might just be pushing it with the MK2.
What 2nd stage are you using with it?

I'm usually all for keeping older regs, especially well proven ones like the MK2, but in this case it might be time to look for a cold water specific reg like the MK17 or Apeks.

Thats what i am thinking. I am going to stick with scuba pro for replacement but i don't know if i will have to go for a cold water reg like a mk17 or somehing like a mk11 will be suffice.

I'd get the Apeks.
Don't get me wrong, I love my MK17 but I'm a bit disgruntled with SP.

-Apeks service every 2 years & free parts for life
-Scubapro service every year mandatory & no free parts

It's become pretty pointless to buy scubapro regulators now.
The only advantage I see in buying new was Free-Parts-for-life...which they killed.

Furthermore, Apeks is from the UK. Prices should be good.

Just googled apeks manufacturing plant. 38 miles from my house. I think i will pop down and see if they sell direct.
By the way is the free parts for life transferable to new owners of second hand regs

Just googled apeks manufacturing plant. 38 miles from my house. I think i will pop down and see if they sell direct.
By the way is the free parts for life transferable to new owners of second hand regs

I don't think they sell direct. I would check out divelife for some good pricing as well as other UK retailers as prices are keen in the UK due to the popularity. If you look at UK based forums ie Yorkshire divers and do a search they can advise on model, price and the best place to buy. These regs are very highly rated in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My buddy has been using an mk2 all winter long here in Europe, down to 3C water without problems. If you want to switch to a simple and sturdy coldwater reg from apeks, consider the DS4/ATX40. It's very popular in the UK and we got a great deal on those at the London dive show. It shouldn't be hard to find those secondhand either.

Parts-for-life is non-transferable. It's to push people to buy new instead of used.

Apeks overhaul kits, if what I see on ebay is correct cost 20pounds. I buy my kits for DS4 at 35$ which similar.
Let's compare USED vs NEW, for a combo kit XTX40 at 500$.
New: 500$ + 60$/year (labor) + 0$/2year (parts) = 860$(6years) or 1100$ (10years)
Used: 250$ + 60$/year (labor) + 70$/2year (parts) = 820$(6years) or 1200$ (10years)

The XTX/ATX 40 is the lowest I would go for cold water.
All the second stages are similar but with different upgrades.
ATX20= Base
ATX40= Base + Heat exchanger
ATX50= Base + Heat Exchanger + Metal adjustment knob
etc...

I have both the MK17 & DS4. Having started to service my own regs I can say that the DS4's design is truly bullet-proof.
It has minimal moving parts, while the MK17 is more complex.

If you are diving single tank and plan to use a long-hose (DIR) configuration.
I would recommend to get the DST instead of the DS4.
DST has a swivel turret with a 5th port at the tip. Which let's you route your hoses like this.
http://i38.tinypic.com/155qf47.jpg (this is an MK25 but same concept)

They might not have the parts for life in the UK. I heard it was a North America feature now being provided by Aqualung here.
But the regs are cheaper there as per different websites.

Back
Top Bottom