cold water regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parts-for-life is non-transferable. It's to push people to buy new instead of used.

Apeks overhaul kits, if what I see on ebay is correct cost 20pounds. I buy my kits for DS4 at 35$ which similar.
Let's compare USED vs NEW, for a combo kit XTX40 at 500$.
New: 500$ + 60$/year (labor) + 0$/2year (parts) = 860$(6years) or 1100$ (10years)
Used: 250$ + 60$/year (labor) + 70$/2year (parts) = 820$(6years) or 1200$ (10years)

The XTX/ATX 40 is the lowest I would go for cold water.
All the second stages are similar but with different upgrades.
ATX20= Base
ATX40= Base + Heat exchanger
ATX50= Base + Heat Exchanger + Metal adjustment knob
etc...

I have both the MK17 & DS4. Having started to service my own regs I can say that the DS4's design is truly bullet-proof.
It has minimal moving parts, while the MK17 is more complex.

If you are diving single tank and plan to use a long-hose (DIR) configuration.
I would recommend to get the DST instead of the DS4.
DST has a swivel turret with a 5th port at the tip. Which let's you route your hoses like this.
http://i38.tinypic.com/155qf47.jpg (this is an MK25 but same concept)

Thats a good appraisal of the future costs, however i tend not to get my regs serviced every year as i,m from the thinking if it aint broke don,t fix it.
I don,t mind buying second hand if its mint as most people buy these things new and store them in the garage un used.
So to be honest scubapro or apeks? I think its gonna be down to getting the best deal.
Back to my original question will i need a coldwater reg, water temp gonna be around 9 degrees,

I think what peeople miss is that cold water regs are not just sealed against cold water. That is why I refer to them as enviro seals. Cause they also keep other things in the ENVIRONMENT out besides the cold. Stuff like silt, salt, mud, rust, etc are also kept out. A sealed reg is no harder to service, unless it's one that requires $40 bucks worth of christo lube to be pumped into it, usually takes less time since there is less junk to clean out, and is often only few dollars more (20-30) or so.

Back to my original question will i need a coldwater reg, water temp gonna be around 9 degrees,

9C? The mk2 will be fine, just be a bit careful on the surface - orally inflate your BCD and don't breath them until you are in the water.

If it's only for a short trip take Lemna's advice.
The MK2 is dirt simple and that simplicity makes it reliable.

I see people around here diving with Basic Sherwood regs all the time and they don't freeflow.

Sorry for the long calculations. I am pro buy used. So I usually need to show calculations to show that new is not always the most sensible route.

Sherwoods don't freeze up because of their dry bleed system which isolates the piston. IMHO a better design then Scubapro regs which are notorious for taking a dump below about 38F.

True, the Sherwood have a one-way bleed valve.

I have also seen multiple divers with MK2 on stages at 40ish F.
The basic rule in Ice-Diving is, don't breath from reg at surface, only in water.

If you apply this to an MK2 in the 50F range. Seems to be a better tactic than buying 500$ of gear for 1-2 trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom