Cold water protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of people talk about the differences in drysuits versus wetsuits. I have only talked to one person who bought a dry suit and didn't love it. He was wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt under the drysuit. If you go dry, make sure to wear something that will wick the moisture away from your skin. The thing I like about diving dry is I can vary the thickness of the undergarment to match the condidtions. I have a 150gram thinsulate that I wore all summer and fall and switched to a 300 gram thinsulate for winter and spring. This was in PA/NJ diving. I am pretty cold resistant, though. Here in NE Florida, I wear a t shirt and shorts while others are wearing jackets and long pants.

If you are going to do cold water diving frequently, I would recommend investing in a drysuit, you will enjoy diving alot more and surface intervals will be spent warmer, not trying to warm up before getting back in.

A drysuit is a mechanical device which may fail. While I've have been trained in drysuits, I prefer wet.

My wetsuit is a 7mm O'Neil farmer John and I am just fine for one or two hours in the cold Pacific NW Ocean (Oregon). My last dives were at 50 degrees Fahrenheit and 46-48 degrees is very common. I keep moving and really don't notice the cold except when I first get in.

I do not want a dive delayed or spoiled by a fancy/expensive drysuit torn by the rocky jetty as I crawl over rocks and barnacles to the bay. Nor do I need any extra expensive valves to get plugged up or fail. It's not uncommon to be pushed up again the rocks by the surge and when crabbing one has to be on a muddy rocky floor grabbing at those critters.

I love my wetsuit. However, when I dive the glacier fed Clear Lake of 41 degrees, I have to admit that I really enjoy the summer sun when I come up between dives! But most of my dives are done in the "temperate" waters where I prefer a wetsuit.

If one of you is selling a 7mm XXL wetsuit (and moving to a drysuit) - please contact me as I am looking for a backup. Your loss is my gain :) .

drdaddy

Have a Henderson 7m wetsuit and will be diving alot in cold water will that offer the protection a dry suit will with hood and gloves? Whats the tempature differances and comfort being cold that is, are they that big of a diffrance?

Im a big guy and dont have cold issues all my dive buddies think Im nuts I dive Fresh water 38-60f at depths 40-85 ft in West Hawk Manitoba I use a full 7 mm (gloves and hood only in the spring 38-45f ) Average bottom time about 40 min. And I dont find it uncomfortable.most of the divers here do dive dry and the keep telling me to try it but I dont think its nessasary at this time. My wife on the other hand is considering it.
As you get comfortable with your diving the weight issue will work it self out just like most dive issues. The out side temp. is an issue there is not answer for, except change Quick Or cover up for the surface interval. DM

Thanks for your insite, I think I will try it have some training comming up next month and figure if it's cold well I'll just get out or cut off short. I have some Burger King Insulation to. You know for a new diver this site is really informative wish the web address would of been printed in my dive manual. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom