cold water glove recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ae3753

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can't afford dry gloves, so I'm asking for cold water neoprene glove recommendations. Searched the board, and seen mentions of thickness, but not brands. I currently wear 7mm Hendersen Hyperstretch and at 47 degrees, those suckers offered no help. Diving Monterey, CA so 45-55 degrees. Preference for 5 finger gloves over 3 finger mitts.

Any suggestions and recommendations are appreciated.

ae3753:
Can't afford dry gloves
Its pretty close to a one time shot for cash...Why Cheap out? (Note: for the really cheap guys...which my brother is. I bought him some rings (I just can't remember the make, but if I think of it I will post it). He uses dish gloves with some fleece gloves as liners. Warmer than wet gloves, but not as warm as "regular" dry gloves. But he has lasted in ~38 deg water. Cost was about $40 Canadian.

ae3753:
Can't afford dry gloves, so I'm asking for cold water neoprene glove recommendations. Searched the board, and seen mentions of thickness, but not brands. I currently wear 7mm Hendersen Hyperstretch and at 47 degrees, those suckers offered no help. Diving Monterey, CA so 45-55 degrees. Preference for 5 finger gloves over 3 finger mitts.

Three finger mitts are warmer! I have a pair from Scubapro with double sealing at the wrist. The under part is folded towards the skin and the upper layer pulled over the first and they stay almost dry. If it's really cold 2-4 °C I'll wear a pair of very thin wollen cloves where the wrists were cut off (and the clove sewed) coverd with a pair of "service station" plastic cloves to make it possible to get the 5 mm mitts on! This has kept my finger/hands reasonble warm. I have to make a lot of effort to keep my hands warm as I suffer from pain in the finger joints - and like winter diving. That being said - I now use dry gloves!

Hope this is of any use......

If 7mm gloves aren't warm enough then you have no choice.....Dry gloves. Buy them from divetank.com. They will cost you $79 with shipping.

I prefer wet gloves myself, and even though I have a pair of "smurf" dry gloves, I don't really use them. Personally, I'm a big fan of Akona's ArmorTex 5 finger gloves with the kevlar coating on the palm and finger tips.

I am using Henderson Gold Core Hook and Loop 5 mm Velcro, not Hyperstretch, at 43~47 F. I am fine with that. I have tried a Hyperstretch glove when I was in the market, but it couldn't beat the Gold core. They make 7mm one, too.

ae3753:

3 finger neoprene wet gloves will be warmer than 5 finger gloves. If you get wet gloves - I suggest you get the type that extend down to your forearm with a velcro cinch strap to minimize water flow. You can (and need) to adjust this at depth as your suit compresses.

Dry Gloves are more costly but are worth the money. Until you have used them you would not believe how much more comfortable they are. I use the neoprene Diving Concepts gloves. I paid $200 for the complete system - rings - gloves - inserts - etc. If you opt for the smurf gloves the cost would be about $150.

http://www.divingconcepts.com/dryglove.htm

--Matt

Bring some hot water with you in a thermos and pour it into the gloves before you jump in the water. That may help. If 7mm isn't keeping you warm then you need dry gloves.

I have a set of 5mm Poseidon gloves that have lasted a while. I now use DC's Dry Gloves. I think Bob3 is on this board, he sells Viking UGs and Dry Gloves. He may be able to get just the rings for you. You can go to any commerical fishing store and get some Atlas gloves for the rings

Come on guys.

He said, he isn't interested in a dry glove... Let's recommend any feasible options that he can afford. I believe that wet glove is much easier to maintain and worry free as long as it secure the warmness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom