"Cold" Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

38 F.....I have done it with a 7mm suit which was a little chilly, and most recently with a Bare Trilam suit with a hi-loft undergarment. So far no problems with gear due to the cold (knock on wood).

The coldest I've dived is 43. I did a whole weekend of diving in Canada with air temps in the 20s and water at that temperature. I wore polarfleece pants and a polarfleece turtleneck, with a heated Polarfleece vest, under a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit, inside of a 2mm compressed neoprene dry suit inflated with argon. After 45 minutes, I was good and cold.

I have MK25/S600 regs for my doubles, and I haven't had any freeflow problems with them, but that's actually pretty warm water for the places where freeflows are common.

The coldest I've dived is 43. I did a whole weekend of diving in Canada with air temps in the 20s and water at that temperature. After 45 minutes, I was good and cold.

Where was that?

That was our trip to Nanaimo a year and a half ago. There was ICE on the water in the harbor; the captain had to break it to get the skiff with our tanks out to the boat. Peter has pictures of us diving below a wall decorated with icicles.

My average dive temp last year was 43, coldest was ice diving 37. Done in a 7mm wet suit with a 5mm shorty underneath (can you say michelin woman!). My new dry suit arrived last week.

Yesterday in Slapy and we had 2C (35.2f) at 15M... the surface was much warmer, around 10C. I dive in an Otter dry suit and a Y valve in case of freeze. Everything is on the SEA4 Cousteau (BCD/Suit/Primary) and only my backup reg is on the other valve.

So far have had uneventful cold water diving.

32F

Diving Concepts drysuit with DUI 400gm undies and a electrical heat pad.
It still gets cold after a while.

I've done 48 degrees in a 7mm full suit with a 3/5 hooded vest, gloves and boots. I was pretty cold at that temp though, so for the 2nd dive had to stay in the "shallows" where it was 50 degrees. I :heart: coldwater diving for the critters and the training aspects, but hate the cold. :)

Anyone know how many calories (generally) you burn cold water diving? I know it is more than warm water, but ...... Just curious :D

The coldest I've dived is 43. I did a whole weekend of diving in Canada with air temps in the 20s and water at that temperature. I wore polarfleece pants and a polarfleece turtleneck, with a heated Polarfleece vest, under a 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit, inside of a 2mm compressed neoprene dry suit inflated with argon. After 45 minutes, I was good and cold.

I have MK25/S600 regs for my doubles, and I haven't had any freeflow problems with them, but that's actually pretty warm water for the places where freeflows are common.

No, the coldest you've dived is 42-at least according to my computer when we were on Snake Island wall.

I did that with a Fourth Element and a trilam, since then I've used 400 weight thinsulate and a 2mm compressed suit (with argon) and been cold scootering. The Otter Bay 12 mm hood has helped a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom