"Cold" Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to my computer, 45 degrees, in a rock quarry of Virginia. It is around that temperature year round, at depth of 35ft and deeper. Surface isn't too bad. Did my first dives in 7mm two piece wetsuit, but now I do it in a 7mm drysuit.

I did some 50F dives in the bare artic wetsuit... Bought a drysuit and have gone down to 39F so far! Wasn't too bad at 93ft for about a half hour.

In Sault Ste Marie Ontario.
Lake Superior in the winter is chilly on the willy.
Good diving though!

39 Degrees F - Bare D6 Pro Drysuit, T100 Undergarment, High Tide 5mm Hood. Got fairly chilly after about 30 min. Average diving temps are around 47-49 (nice and warm in these temps!).

What is the coldest water that you have been in and how do you dress for it?

38F here off the coast of NJ. TLS-350 with a Bare Ultraloft jumpsuit and a layer of Patagonia Capilene 3 under that.

39 degrees. Lake Erie in August. At depths beyond 120 or so it never gets much above 40-42. I was at 155 with an OS Systems HD Pro with polar fleece under my OS heavy undies. Once face went numb it was ok until hands started to really get hard to move. 5MM pinnacle gloves were good for nearly 25 min until we hit the warm water at around 60 ft. It was a balmy 54. Once you hit 20 it was in the low 70's. Positively tropical! Gonna try the dry gloves this season. Had some ring issues last year that have been resolved.

2c.

Wearing a weezle extreme, wicking base layer, a fleece layer, 2 pairs of skiing socks and weezle booties along with drygloves.

I got cold after 45 minutes.

If its cold, Its nice vis... The pronblem is it might be snowing when I get back up or ice might have started to form on the water :p

I dive a BARE CD4 ProDry and use only wool underwear. For the colder dives a bit thicker sweater on top of the wool..

Wet - low 40's 43-45F 7mm full with 3 mm shorty for the core 5 mm hood, gloves and boots. Did 3 dives 45 min to 1 hour each. Cold at the end.

Dry - 39 degrees F. Polar tech, sweat shirt and pants dry gloves and hood. Insulted hunting socks. Face gets numb.

32F st. lawrence river.

mares proton ice (no environmental seal kit) > freeflow
apeks atx200 worked quite well.

Back
Top Bottom