cold water divers I need your input.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CD_in_Chitown:
Steel tanks are more negative. Even if you dive wet.

If you're going to dive cold water, get steel tanks.

I wasn't implying that the steel tanks contained a suit sensor. :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
I'm not sure if it's because of the lower pressure or the fill rate or because it's steel instead of aluminum, or because the walls are thinner, but the steel tanks don't seem to get as hot during fills, which means you won't lose as much pressure when it cools off.

Terry

Mmm

Aluminum is a great thermal conductor but the aluminum cyinder has a thicker wall. In reality the hot cylinder is not the problem, it's the hot bloated air that shrinks as it cools. The cylinder wall temperature we feel is just a symptom.

LP + steels only go to 2640 on a normal fill and a lot less work is required to stuff those molecules in there. As you go to a 3000 PSI AL80 the heat of compression is more of a factor and it is even more nociable on a HP 3442/3500 PSI cylinder.

Pete

And if you are going wreck diving from a charter boat, you will just about never see a fill over 3000 psi. Many times they will hot fill to 3000 psi and you end up with 2850. A consideration if you are thinking about a HP steel cylinder.

So that I understand what are the pros and cons between the two? ALuminium and Steel

WingNutt:
So that I understand what are the pros and cons between the two? ALuminium and Steel

See post 5

Your previous post only addresses the weight issue. It doesn't address longer lifespans and smaller tanks for the same volume. For example an HP100 is physically smaller than an AL80 and may distribute the weight better for some divers.

Thanks Spectrum, I was so busy reading all of the other post I didnt notice the link. I am thinking of getting at least 2 maybe 3 tanks of my own in the future as today we went to a LDS hoping to get some stuff and the hrs changed so they are no longer open on sunday. Having the option to swing by during the week (like thurs or friday) and get tanks filled after work and head to the lake on the weekend and not having to hurry back to beat closing time to avoid the extra days rental fee sounds like its worth the price of the tanks alone.

I have 2 x7-100 and I think steels are the only way to go cold water. They are lighter than aluminum and take off weight. I like my HP because they are compact but its hard to get a full fill even when the compressor can handle it. Next time im going to get lp.

Back
Top Bottom