Cold water decision mk 10 vs mk 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a quarry dive this week. After doing some research I was shocked to get the actual temps for the dive 68 from the surface to the thermocline. 40 degrees below the thermocline and an additional drop to 34 degrees at 60 feet. I have a mk2 plus a mk10 second generation (spec boot is not currently installed) and a mk 10 first generation (smaller ambient holes). I don't really feel like greasing up either of the mk10 with silicone since I won't be diving cold water again for a long time.

Any thoughts as to which first stage is going to give me less trouble.

(second stages wil be G250's metal air barrels)

After Scubapro moved away from the SPEC kits on everything, and before Scubapro had the Mk 17, we sold a lot of Mk 2s to dive rescue squads and ice divers who wanted a reliable cold water reg. The Mk 2 worked fine in that application as long as good cold water technique was used and I'd choose it over the Mk 10 in really cold water if you did not want to fill the SPEC chamber on your gen 1 Mk 10. If you want to dive a Mk 10 anyway without the SPEC kit, dive the gen 2 as the larger holes improve water flow and heat transfer. The difference is pretty significant and is similar to the difference you see between an older SPEC kitted small holed Mk 3 and a newer Mk 2 with large ambient pressure holes - the Mk 3 will freeze up in 35 degree water MUCH easier than will the larger ambient pressure holed Mk 2.

Back
Top Bottom