Cold galvanizing LP 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halocline

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got my LP72s back from hydro. It only took a month...they all passed, but no + rating because the guy could not get a REE number from PST. I believe he did try.

One, the bump bottom, is not galvanized, and there are some sizable scratches and spots of missing paint. My plan is to remove the paint with aircraft stripper, do some light media blasting only if necessary, then re-paint with ZRC. There are three products I found. ZRC Cold galvanizing compound, ZRC Galvilite Galvanizing repair compound, and ZRC 221 Cold Galvanizing compound. I've read Captain's recommendation for Galvilite, but why not use one of the other products, which seem to be designed specifically to substitute for hot dipped galvanizing, while Galvilite appears to be designed for repairing galvanized surfaces.

All three provide the same protection. The reason the recommend Galvilite for repair is it more closely matches the appearance of galvanize. The others are just a flat battleship gray but the Galvilite is a silvery slightly shiny finish. If you plan on top coating with a color then it doesn't much matter but if you plan on using just the ZRC the Galvilite has a better appearance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom