Cold Alaskan diving - need help picking gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To Mr. X,

It's at the University of Alaska, and the OW dives are during our spring break. This is a course offered every spring; it's how they do it up here, and the classes are big.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm ordering 4 different pairs from Leisure Pro, and I'll send back the 2 pairs that I like least. Great idea, ArcticDiver, to have a dry pair for the 2nd dive. It's affordable and worthwhile. I hate when my fingers go numb.

I'm going to get the
Waterproof Crux 3 Finger 7MM Drymitten with Zipper in XS
Bare 7MM Three-Finger Mitt Glove, in XS
Henderson 7mm Gold Core Mit in S (can't find in XS)
Deep See 6.5MM Kevlar 3-Finger Mitt in S (can't find in XS)

Do I wear anything UNDER the gloves? Like polypro glove liners? Or is too much material a bad idea?

We diving near Homer in Kasitsna Bay, so the water temps will be 30s or 40s. You never know, though, and I want to be prepared.

I can't afford to invest in expensive dry gloves for one week of drysuit diving - I don't see myself doing more drysuit diving - so I've pretty much decided to go with the mitt-style lobster gloves in 7mm as I'm told that's the next warmest thing - better than 5 finger. But what's the best brand? I've seen Crux, Henderson, Blue Reef, and Deep Sea online. Any favorites?

I have some Fusion Hyperstretch Gloves, 5mm - from Dive Alaska! ($42). They worked just fine last month - water temp was 38F. My fingers were not cold at all - whereas someone in a DUI drysuit with a dry glove system (and lots of warm stuff under it) had serious problems.

Just a tip - dump hot water into your gloves before putting them on, it helps a lot.

While shore diving is certainly possible... why in March? Snow, wind, snotty weather are still in effect at that time of the year.
Generally speaking, the warmer the water is, the worse the visibility is.

Honestly, why not conduct the class somewhere a tad more hospitable? The conditions on the sea were often 3-8 ft, horizontal snow and the water a balmy 34-35F.
Not all science is conducted in the warm tropical waters that are often more pleasant to dive in.

To Mr. X,

It's at the University of Alaska, and the OW dives are during our spring break. This is a course offered every spring; it's how they do it up here, and the classes are big.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm ordering 4 different pairs from Leisure Pro, and I'll send back the 2 pairs that I like least. Great idea, ArcticDiver, to have a dry pair for the 2nd dive. It's affordable and worthwhile. I hate when my fingers go numb.

I'm going to get the
Waterproof Crux 3 Finger 7MM Drymitten with Zipper in XS
Bare 7MM Three-Finger Mitt Glove, in XS
Henderson 7mm Gold Core Mit in S (can't find in XS)
Deep See 6.5MM Kevlar 3-Finger Mitt in S (can't find in XS)

Do I wear anything UNDER the gloves? Like polypro glove liners? Or is too much material a bad idea?

We diving near Homer in Kasitsna Bay, so the water temps will be 30s or 40s. You never know, though, and I want to be prepared.

I wouldn't advise wearing anything inside the gloves. The gloves should fit well enough that water transfer should be minimal. Everyone is a bit different, but I've found that I can tolerate a couple of hour dives with a decent SI. In your case I suspect you will be moving around enough you probably won't even feel the cold.

Not sure about the mitts as they interfered with my manual dexterity so much that I abandoned them after one dive.

Knowing where you will be diving a pair of windproof/windresistant gloves to wear on your surface interval would be nice. The "secret" to staying warm here is to manage your heat energy. Never let yourself get so warm you do more than mildly perspire and never let yourself get cold unless you have a readily available warm up place.

If you are cold sensitive you might consider petroleum jelly or similar on your cheeks and forhead between your mask and hood.. That is what gets me the most. Until the skin numbs it feels to me like being sliced with a knife.

When I get so heated that I'm sweating, like snowshoeing for example, I make sure I have a heated place to go to and the ability to get warm and dry out.

If you are cold sensitive you might consider petroleum jelly or similar on your cheeks and forhead between your mask and hood.. That is what gets me the most. Until the skin numbs it feels to me like being sliced with a knife.

An ice cap underhood works well for me and without the mess! :D

Dave C

The single best of part of getting my dry suit was getting dry gloves. I don't get cold easy, but I will never dive dry without them again.

You may want to look into the blue smurf gloves with the locking rings. I have some used diving concepts rings on mine. Throw some thin fleece inside and your golden.

I used the 3 finger and 5 finger DeepSea kevlar gloves (6.5mm I think) while I was up there, and locally in the quarries (33F right now). I don't have any problem with them, they are a little tough to get on and off, but that I can live with. Definately fill them with VERY HOT WATER before the dive, by the time you put them on 10 minutes later the will have cooled enough to actually put your hand inside. If you can, take a bucket of hot water with you to the dive side, stick your hand in the bucket while putting them on, keeping them flooded with warm water

I have been diving up here in AK for over 12 years. I say get the dry gloves. If not, buy the thickest neopreme ones you can. Also what I found to help when I dove with wet gloves was to coat my hands with vasoline and put on a pair of surgical gloves befor putting the dive gloves on.

Thanks Deep Diver - I never heard about the vaseline and surgical gloves trick before.

Just so you guys don't think I've got a lame teacher who isn't answering my questions- I don't! We just haven't gotten into this stuff yet in class yet as we've been focusing on different diving drills. Because it's Alaska and things take a while to get here, and rush shipping is $$$$, I want to be able to order everything I need from the lower 48 ahead of time, and not rely on what's in stock at the LDS.

So vaseline, do I put this on my face and lips - the parts that aren't covered by the mask?

If you happen to have a freakishly small head so that the mask goes over the hood a little bit, this is going to cause leakage. What do you do? I have a super small child's size mask as is.

Generally speaking, the warmer the water is, the worse the visibility is.

Not all science is conducted in the warm tropical waters that are often more pleasant to dive in.

Someday I'd like to grow and be just like you - an expert of all things Alaska and beyond. You can be SB's "diving cheechacko."

X

Back
Top Bottom