Cocos (Keeling) and Christmas Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cabbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone been here recently ?

I did a search on this site and found some threads from 2006 ...have posted this in the general travel section in the hope of reaching a wide audience. Any information will be much appreciated. I'm going in October, so would like to know if there is there anything in particular I should take with me, what to expect, etc etc.

I went in October 2006. It was COLD on the boat so bring a warm layer; it was windy almost every day we were there. The boat had a few wet weather slickers, but not enough for everyone, so bring your own.

The boat has very little deck space, so minimize and be organized.

The water was very clear and blue and warm; the evenings were beautiful and there weren't many biting beasties, but bug spray is always a good thing to bring along.

I was on the trip with Alcina. The only other thing I would mention is that the deck of the boat was very slippery when you are in bare feet. Make sure you have a good pair of dive boots or water proof (ie not leather) sandals with a non-slip sole for walking around the boat. Other than that, beware of the feral chooks (chickens for the non-Aussies). :)

Here's photos from that trip:

http://www.gudgeon.id.au/Diving/Cocos%20-%20Oct%2006/index.html

I just thought of another thing, make sure you have all your gear on when you get in the water, forgetting gear or other doing something else silly is punished by having to wear the Big Bird Underpants for the rest of the day :)

Cocos%2006%20-%2036.jpg

Thanks for the very useful tips. I don't look good in yellow, so will try and avoid forgetting anything !!!

The photos look amazing...hope I can take some which are half as good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom