Cocos Island v Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red-lipped batfish:
Thanks guys, I have written to Seahunter to check the schedule for 2006 Aug to Sept. I have not heard from them.

I know the aggressor does not have good reviews for Cocos. If i go galapagos, which liveaboard should I go with?

Why not save some money and go with a land based option. RoatanMan had a great post a little while ago. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=136860 If you've ever been to a location he's posted about, you'll know his posts couldn't be more accurate. Ken :42:

red-lipped batfish:
I want to see whalesharks and hammerheads!!! When and where will I have more of a chance? Also, which is easier/more efficient to get to from LA???
Been to Cocos twice and Galapagos once.....I'll take Galapagos...yep. Neither is easy...but both are worth the long flights boats rides......etc..etc..I'll still take galapagos....going one more time just to make sure...

I went Sept 05, the ten night trip on the Agg around the same time as goldcountry diver. I think we had about 6 whale sharks, becuase we were on a 10 night trip we got to spend a whole week up at wolf/darwin. South we hit Seymour and Cousin's.

The whale shark action was limited. Boats previous to ours got skunked altogether due to warm water. We had MASSIVE hammerhead and galapagos shark action..... literally hundreds of hammers on some dives. We went to one site, Landslide on Wolf for two days straight and consistently hit huge schools of hammers, schooling galapagos sharks and schooling eagle rays. Also snorkeled with humpback mama and calf at Wolf in Chimney Bay

The Galapagos exceeded any expectation I could have had, had a sh** eating grin on the entire time. And the land tours were almost as impressive as the diving. If you miss the land tours you are doing yourself a disservice, IMO.

You should be comfortable in current. doing blue water safety stops in current, and potentially diving on your own. It is not for the beginner diver.

I am going to Cocos on June 30, so I'll tell you after that, but if it's any indication I have already booked return trips to the Galapagos in Sept, 9/07 and 9/09 (a two weeker)

You can do land based, and Puerto Ayoro is a very nice town, but you will not get to Wolf and Darwin, which is the pinnacle of Galapagos diving, on a land based trip.

Chris

Hammers
Hammer_School3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom