Cocos Island v Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin:
If you're interested in pelagics, have you considered the Sea of Cortez ? The El Bajo Sea Mounts are known for encounters with large pelagic species ... including whale sharks, mantas, and large schools of hammerhead shark. It's a mere 2.5 hr boat trip from La Paz, versus a multi-day live aboard trip ... probably a cheaper trip. Just a suggestion.

We just got back from the Sea of Cortez, on the Nautilus Explorer. While we did see some pelagics, it was like one of each, not schools. One hammerhead on a blue water dive at El Bajo, one whaleshark in La Paz, etc. Maybe it's overfished. Yes, Cortez is easy to get to and less expensive. But don't go there expecting it to be like Galapagos or Cocos, because you'll be disappointed. The folks on our trip who had been to Galapagos/Cocos/Malpelo were bored with the dives we did. We liked the diving because we'd never seen a hammerhead or whale shark before.

capybara:
We just got back from the Sea of Cortez, on the Nautilus Explorer. While we did see some pelagics, it was like one of each, not schools. One hammerhead on a blue water dive at El Bajo, one whaleshark in La Paz, etc. Maybe it's overfished. Yes, Cortez is easy to get to and less expensive. But don't go there expecting it to be like Galapagos or Cocos, because you'll be disappointed. The folks on our trip who had been to Galapagos/Cocos/Malpelo were bored with the dives we did. We liked the diving because we'd never seen a hammerhead or whale shark before.

Absolutely agreed ... this would merley be a poor man's pelagic encounter alternative to the Cocos or Galapogos. In the La Paz area, it is possible to see pelagics in large numbers during certain times of the year . For example, schooling Hammerheads (Aug-Sep), Manatas (May-Oct), Whale Sharks (Jun-Sep).

If you literally JUST got back, you've probably missed the peak season for sighting these pelagics. I believe that this is the time of year when Pilot Whales are starting to migrate through the area, however. Did you see any ?

riguerin:
Absolutely agreed ... this would merley be a poor man's pelagic encounter alternative to the Cocos or Galapogos. In the La Paz area, it is possible to see pelagics in large numbers during certain times of the year . For example, schooling Hammerheads (Aug-Sep), Manatas (May-Oct), Whale Sharks (Jun-Sep).

If you literally JUST got back, you've probably missed the peak season for sighting these pelagics. I believe that this is the time of year when Pilot Whales are starting to migrate through the area, however. Did you see any ?

We went in late October. No pilot whales, but did see some dolphins swimming off our bow. We only get a week of vacation at a time, so Cocos and Galapagos aren't possible for us given the travel time.

vertaqua:
Although that might save some time I'd actually rather take the drive to see some of the country. Also most of the liveaboards pick you up at your San Jose hotel and drive you to their dock at Papagayo, and its included in the price of the trip.

Be ready for some pot holes, and then be ready for some more and then even more! I am not exaggerating. I just got back form Costa Rica last week and drove from San Jose to Playa del Coco and it was a serious drive. I had a blast and would not hesitate to do it again but understand its not like driving in the states. For that matter the diving is not like it is in the states.

Good luck.

Alex

AlexRodriguez:
Be ready for some pot holes, and then be ready for some more and then even more! I am not exaggerating. I just got back form Costa Rica last week and drove from San Jose to Playa del Coco and it was a serious drive. I had a blast and would not hesitate to do it again but understand its not like driving in the states. For that matter the diving is not like it is in the states.

Good luck.

Alex

FYI ... you can save yourself from enduring the long treacherous drive from San Jose by flying into Liberia. Playa de Coco is a nice easy 40 min drive from the airport.

AlexRodriguez:

Good luck.

Alex

I still don't think its worth 140 plus the cost of taxis to/from the airport, when most of the liveaboard ops offer a free shuttle from San Jose. That and I don't want to spend any more time in some third world airport than I absolutely have to.

I've seen in this post that the best time to go is September. I was planning on going in November (for no other reason than it's starting to get cold here that time of year, and I'd rather go somewhere warm when it's cold).

It also turns out that the September 2007 trips are already booked on my preferred operator, but there is November availability.

Why is September better than November? The November trip report that Jennifer posted looked pretty *#$&ing good to me - though I'd prefer more hammerheads than whale sharks.

Is it really that much better in September than November that I should put off the trip for a whole year?

Thanks,

D

I was there Oct.29 to Nov.5, 2005and saw thousands of hammerheads and Whale sharks galore at Wolf Island, as well as other amazing hordes of fish, turtles, dolphins, moray eels, etc. Viz was good, currents light and the water temp was upper 70s. To me, Nov. is the time to go.

Back
Top Bottom