Cocos Island v Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to save a few bucks check out: http://www.quasarnautica.com
I went with them, but booked through a U.S. agent, on the Mistral liveaboard. Nice boat, good food etc. Three dives a day plus land trips. 10-day trip needed for Wolf/Darwin (a must-do IMO).

Cheers

Seadeuce

My wife and I were on the Sky Dancer from Sept. 12-22. Still working on a trip report, and waiting to get my slides back. However, let's just say the trip was AWESOME. The extra few days over the normal 7-day trip meant more time at Wolf and Darwin, and it was well worth it. Saw two whale sharks, one at each Wolf and Darwin. I know this is not a ton, but we were happy to see even one! According to the DMs, the warm water at Wolf/Darwin (about 72 F) has meant less whale sharks this year. From talking to some of the Aggressor folks who were also on a 10-day trip, they saw five whale sharks, though they spent even more days than we did up North, sacrificing the Southern islands.

Though the whale sharks were great, the hammerheads were every bit as impressive, particularly at Wolf. Literally, hundreds of sharks (mostly hammerheads, though some Galapagos and silkies) on EVERY dive at Wolf. On one particularly memorable dive, we were treated to about 90 seconds of non-stop schooling hammerheads. We estimated it was as many as 200 sharks in just that slice of time. Our dive group was simply left speechless.

I haven't been to Cocos, so I can't compare the two. A few divers on the boat had been to both, and felt our diving in the Galapagos had been a bit better. We may have just gotten lucky.

For our Sky Dancer group, we all agreed that the shore trips were every bit as good, important, and interesting as the undersea adventures. You're not missing anything by taking the excursions. Most days, 3-4 dives were offered, with even a couple of days at 5.

Getting to the Galapagos was relatively easy. We flew from the US into Quito, though you can also start at Guayaquil. We then flew via AeroGal for the two-hour trip from Quito to San Cristobal with a stop in Guayaquil (meaning if you start your trip in Guayaquil, you do save a little time). From the little San Cristobal airport, you take a 10-minute bus ride to the main dock and then a 5-minute tender to the boat. Really, fairly easy. As far as luggage, the Sky Dancer folks seem to have it all worked out, because nobody on our boat got charged for excess baggage fees. And believe me, several of us should have been. The boat ride to Wolf/Darwin is fairly long (ours was 16 hours), but since most of it is done overnight, it wasn't bad at all.

Overall, the Galapagos was our best dive trip by far. I haven't even mentioned the other stuff we saw, including red-lipped bat fish, eagle rays, mantas, dolfins, eels, penguins, sea lions, melon-head whales, golden rays, etc. Book early because we had booked ours over a year in advance. When I researched the trip initially, I thought I read that September was the optimal time for whale sharks at the Galapagos, though that was a while ago. Have fun!

Thanks very much, Gold County Diver. Your trip sounds like a trip of a lifetime...wished I was there :wink:

I've been to neither of these destinations thus far, though I'd probably like to visit both. Though for my next dive trip I'm leaning towards Cocos aboard either the sea hunter or undersea hunter boats. My main reason is accesibility, even though there is a 36hr boat ride on each end of the trip. My reasoning is that I'd rather spend my time on the liveaboard with meals, entertainment and a stateroom then in some third world airport departure lounge. It also seems Costa Rica is more dedicated to the ideals of eco tourism than Ecuador. The airfare seems to be a bit cheaper too, I priced out airfares from where I live in Utah to both Costa Rica and Equador. Airfare on Amrerica west to san jose was around 400. To Quito via Continental ran around 900 + the hop from quito to san cristobal. The Cocos trips seem to have a little bit more diving and still offers some land tours; or at least thats what the liveaboard's websites seem to show.
Thats just my .02$

If you're interested in pelagics, have you considered the Sea of Cortez ? The El Bajo Sea Mounts are known for encounters with large pelagic species ... including whale sharks, mantas, and large schools of hammerhead shark. It's a mere 2.5 hr boat trip from La Paz, versus a multi-day live aboard trip ... probably a cheaper trip. Just a suggestion. I'm not necessarily plugging this operator, but check out their promotional video to get a feel for the diving: http://www.clubcantamar.com/english/promo/index.html#

p.s. I've been to Costa Rica a few times, albeit not to Coco Islands. It's a great vacation destination.

Taxgeek:
Cocos is this: Nonstop flight (I paid $250) to Costa Rica from Los Angeles. They pick you up in a bus and drive you 3 hours to teh coast, wehre you board your liveaboard.

FYI ... You can avoid the long drive by flying into the Liberia Airport in the Pacific Northwest region of Guanacaste versus flying into the capital city of San Jose which is located in the interior of the country. Liberia is about 30-40 minutes from the Gulf of Papagayo, where the dive/sport fishing fleet is located. Alternately, you can fly into San Jose and take a 40min commuter flight to Liberia via Sansa Air (about $70 one way) . http://www.flysansa.com/

riguerin:
FYI ... You can avoid the long drive by flying into the Liberia Airport in the Pacific Northwest region of Guanacaste versus flying into the capital city of San Jose which is located in the interior of the country. Liberia is about 30-40 minutes from the Gulf of Papagayo, where the dive/sport fishing fleet is located. Alternately, you can fly into San Jose and take a 40min commuter flight to Liberia via Sansa Air (about $70 one way) . http://www.flysansa.com/

Although that might save some time I'd actually rather take the drive to see some of the country. Also most of the liveaboards pick you up at your San Jose hotel and drive you to their dock at Papagayo, and its included in the price of the trip.

vertaqua:
Although that might save some time I'd actually rather take the drive to see some of the country. Also most of the liveaboards pick you up at your San Jose hotel and drive you to their dock at Papagayo, and its included in the price of the trip.

That's OK. If you've never been to the country and done that drive, however, I'll warn you that it's not really as glamorous as it might seem. In fact, it's a pretty long grueling drive through the interior of the country, across some difficult terrain. The roads have gotten much better in recent years, but it can still be pretty treacherous in places ... especially if it's raining. If you break up the drive, it's not so bad. For example, spending a night at the base of Arenal can be rewarding as the volcano puts on a pretty nice light show at nights.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll have a great time. Costa Rica has been one of our favorite vacation destinations for years ... and not just for the diving. Enjoy your trip.

I just got back from the Galapagos (Galapagos Aggressor II)...and the trip wasn't all that bad. Flight from Houston to Quito (5 hours), overnight in Quito, flight from Quito to Guayaquil to San Cristobal (2 hours), 10 minute bus ride to the port, 5 minute skiff ride to the Aggressor. All in all....a pretty pain-free trip. It could have been worse...and it still would have been worth it.

Haven't been to Cocos yet, but the Galapagos were by far the best diving I've done yet. We were there November 2 - 11, and I personally had 16 whale shark sightings, most up close & personal. The other group had 31 sightings (and yes, I wished I was with them...since it seemed like the whale sharks were actually coming to THEM). At one point, there were 5 whale sharks around us on one dive. It's kind of funny how the encounters are different for every trip. We had TONS of whale sharks, but not so many Hammerheads, Galapagos Sharks & Silkies. Don't get me wrong...there were still plenty of them....I was just expecting to have to push them out of the way to see the smaller stuff, based on the stuff I had read. :wink: We didn't get many close-up pictures. TONS of turtles and eagle rays, both at Darwin & Wolf. And, I can't help but mention the sea lions (my favorite). The water temp was high 60's (in the south) to high 70's (in the north).

Anyway, it was a great experience...and I wouldn't miss the land tours. They were great.

Jennifer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom