Cocos Island - how long can I wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My buddy are discussing going to Cocos Island. We would kind of like to keep it in our back pocket for a few years time as a dream trip; however my buddy read somewhere recently that the shark populations at Cocos are already in noticeable decline. Is this true? If so, we're wondering whether we should be going sooner rather than later - anyone any thoughts on this? On whether we can hang on another 3 or 4 years and it will still be amazing or whether we should get out there pronto....

TIA,
John

There's definitely been a decline, but the diving there is still spectacular. Go to the Undersea Hunter or the Aggressor website and read for yourself.

Nobody can accurately predict what it's going to be like in 3-4 years. Even with marine park boats constantly patrolling the area, the fishermen still manage to get in there and kill. The pact that the Costa Rican government made with China to allow the Chinese fishing fleet to fish and dock in Costa Rican waters does not bode well either - I think that they are even more ruthless than the Taiwanese that they replaced.

Myself, I try to go there at least once every two years.

With that said, please understand that Cocos can be a very demanding dive destination. The seas can be rough, the currents and surge can be strong and sometimes the thermoclines can be chilling. And that's after you survive the 32+ hour crossing. And the nearest chamber is those same 32+ hours away plus a little more.

Thanks for the post. The Chinese taste for shark fin soup makes me want to cry. Knowing that they've moved in on Costa Rican waters definitely accelerates my agenda of getting to Cocos sooner rather than later.

I've heard that the diving is challenging, my difficulty is rating what that challenge is against my abilities. I'm likely to be one of or the most inexperienced divers on the trip but I've generally held my own so far and I practically always dive with a DM and Instructor (although I still rate myself as crap). I've been in mental currents before and as long as kit doesn't choose to fail, which I've had on a couple of occasions, I'm reasonably comfortable. I'm not worried about high seas in terms of the trip out, I don't get sea sick period, and don't require much sleep - 5/6 hours per night/day is normal for me.

I'd be interested to get a feeling however for what you believe to be the biggest challenge(s) so that I can look at focusing on that or those areas prior to going - just for example, is there much swimming against current, in which case I'll put in more pool time?

TIA,
John

Most of the dives are of the type where you go down, stay put, and watch the parade go by. Then you might move to a different spot - ie, a second or a third cleaning station - or if you are shooting and want to shoot from a different vantage point. The remainder of the dive is usually a drift with the current, eventually ending in blue water to do the safety stop. On occasions, there is a little bit of swimming against the current to get to a particular spot, or if by luck, something big swims by that you may want to chase.

Training to improve fitness and stamina - whether in the pool or in the gym - will definitely help, given that doing up to four dives a day over a span of a week or more can be physically draining, regardless of your age or conditioning.

However, dealing with the other potential challenges - at least in my opinion - is more mental than physical and has more to do with underwater experience under different conditions, such as the examples listed in my first reply: strong currents or surge, particularly up or down currents, sudden changes in temperatures, the possibility of getting blown away and separated from the group and surfacing under choppy conditions, etc.

These are very real situations that don't necessarily occur on every dive or even on every trip, but the possibility of them happening is much greater in a place like Cocos than let's say in a place like Bonaire. How you react to these situations - were they to occur - will have a significant effect on the outcome and enjoyment of the trip not just for you but also for the rest of the divers on the boat.

The thing is that I don't know that these situations can be easily replicated in a pool or in a gym such that you can train for them. And 200 dives under relatively placid conditions may not get you there either. Rather, I think that it is thru the accumulation of time underwater under increasing levels of difficulty that you will gain the necessary underwater experience.

When you choose to go is ultimately your decision. I've seen newly certified open water divers dive the Galapagos (similar and sometimes worse conditions) without a problem - luckily for them, the conditions were favorable. But I think that in the final analysis, most people will enjoy a place like Cocos a lot more once they have gained some experience in dealing with adverse conditions without panicking, in addition to having good control of their air consumption and buoyancy.

Thanks Manuel. My air consumption is pretty ok, could do with smoking less and getting to the gym more. And drinking less. And getting to bed earlier. And.. I've dived in very strong currents before and initially I hated them initially but now I love them cos it's where all the stuff is. Against the current I just take my time and have my reef hok handy if I need to catch my breath/rest. I try to avoid CO2 build up. My first time in a properly raging current my reg failed in some way and the purge just let in water. Was vaguely tempted to panic but didn't, got out of the current and reg started giving me just air again. It was a big surprise for me - I wasn't even aware that currents that strong existed. And kit failing right at that time was an extra little challlenge. But I feel a lot happier now in those conditions, whilst still very respectful.

And you're right - not easy to simulate these conditions. I've started swimming with training fins and not using my hands (but a float) to give some kind of similar exertion to swimming against a current. Not perfect but at least means cardio is that bit stronger so less chance of CO2 loading and guzzling gas.

I do get a little concerned about a very strong down current, particularly when on Nitrox which could push the 1.6 PPO2 limit. But not too concerned.

Thanks for your insight(s)!

John

Hi John,

I am doing my first trip to Cocos in December so can give a better view after my return. I had some of the same concerns as you, but after speaking with people who have been I think I am ready to try it.

I think the best practice (aside from general fitness and cardio training) for you is diving around Brighton. I think the UK sea diving conditions provide a good level of challenge, and it's a good way to test and improve your diving skills.

I've been lazy over the past 18 months and haven't been in the water at home (live in London). Lots of reasons but I need to find some new buddies and head to the coast for some dives pre-Cocos! Oh the thought of my drysuit......

Hey Eau girl.

I'm so gutted I chose my real name when registering rather than a pseudonom. Eau Girl is so much better than 'Frank Williams'. Oh well.

I look forward to your report - you going with underseahunter? They sound like a really good crowd.

I must say I am slightly nervous when you say you think you're 'probably ready for it'. I'm just hoping you have exactly 201 dives rather that the 499 otherwise I might be over rating my capabilities. I'm not a brilliant diver by any stretch and am very focussed on not putting myself or anyone else at risk if I'm not up to the job. That said, having read posts here I don't think there's much I haven't come across (I think!)

And my focus will be doing more and more Brighton dives and work in the pool for the next ongoing while. I like being cold, little viz and seeing nothing. It makes tropical holidays so much more fun!

If you're looking for a dive companion some weekend in Brighton, give me a shout and we can freeze our tropical asses off together :)

John

John - you may want to make a visit to the www.underseahunter.com website. The past two trips have had fantastic encounters with 5 tiger sharks.

JClynes, It is true unfortunately that the shark population at Cocos Island is diminishing. The Island is indeed a world heritage site but the laws are not being inforced. I know of a project that is actually fighting to educate the Costa Ricans about this problem and essentially save Cocos Island. This project is up for a grant with American Express and with your support Cocos will live a longer life.

There have been horrible comments left on the project page that talk about dive tours causing the distruction... not the poachers. I find this nausiating because there are only 2 dive vessles that have a license to charter trips to Cocos when you will find numerous fishing boats surrounding the island on any given day.

If we protect Cocos now you will be able to enjoy the magical waters of Cocos in the future. "People love what they know and protect what they love." I strongly suggest you log onto membersproject. com/project/view/WXKZ1S and nominate this project to save one the last wild places on earth.

Happy Diving!
Kelsey

Back
Top Bottom