Coco View

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallaskincaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, in a week I'm heading to Coco View resort in Honduras. I know this is like THE place for divers. The other cool thing is that this will be my girlfriends FIRST blue water diving. She's kinda meh about diving and I think she mostly does it because I'm so into it. I REALLY am hoping that this will be the trip that gets her hooked.

So, as I'm sure many of you have been to Coco View, I wanted to get any tips, tricks, must do's from everyone. Also, wanted to see if anyone else will be going the same week we are? We arrive on March 16th.

Also, we are likely going to do the dolphin dive at Anthony Key, wanted to see if anyone has any experience with that?

Thanks much! Can't wait to share pictures/video with everyone!

D

I and many others have been there for numerous repeat visits.

The best way to get her motivated is to hook her up on Day One with the U/W Naturalist course. It will teach her how to see what is there. You too ?

Many, many divers come away from Roatan's South shore decrying the "lack of fish". It is teeming with fish life, just not the obvious stuff that newer divers expect or are able to see. It's all in the details. If she is still keyed-up over Lobsters and Parrotfish, there are enough of those, but the cool stuff that is highly localized to CCV's immediate area... it's the small colorful stuff that hide in plain sight.

Expect a Seahorse every day, stay with the DM to see the elusive Pipefish and Pipehorses! It is macro heaven, and you don't need to go deep in this unique zone.

Hire a DM (not expensive) and do a gentle night dive... it's like wading into a warm swimming pool. Lots of man-made landmarks- the upright shallow wreck has its anchor chain leading back to your room. Shore diving and night diving is one of the main reasons to go to CCV. You can bump your dive count by +27 in a week without much strain.

The AKR Dolphins: After many years of observation, I agree with what most have to say- the real interaction occurs in the snorkel/encounter, not the dive- where the dolphins can just flit by. You can do this snorkel/encounter on your off-gassing day (Friday) and not miss any of the diving that she will likely find preferable on the South side.

With a little luck, the CCV boat captains will find you a wild pod of dolphins while you are out on a dive. I can tell you that seeing them come close and have a look at you in the wild beats any canned experience. That is even more true with Sharks. Relax, do some diving, it will all come in due time.

Except that every once in a while one poses for you on the dive...:wink:

AKRdolphin.jpg

Well, the cool part about it is the owners of my LDS found out we were going and they are going as well. They have been there many times, so I assume we are going to have some good dive buddies who can show us around. They are also instructors and my girlfriend actually did her OW with them, so I am hoping it will make her feel safe and secure and able to relax and enjoy the macro stuff.

---------- Post added March 7th, 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

I better see that! heheh

She may get hook but it will be to warm clear water diving. I haven't been there in a few year but it's a well run resort and I had a great room over the water and the dive staff is really good. The dive staff made a mistake and told me no deeper the 130ft and be back with 500psi and 1:45 later I come back well over the 500psi and they were not mad they just ask me to keep it to a hour dive, good staff. Also they had a little boat tour that was not bad and we stop in one of the local lunch shops.

A good choice to introduce someone to ocean diving. Roatan has some fabulous corals and other invertebrate life, and CCV's south shore diving will expose you to lots and lots of them. Get a guidebook for both fish and corals before you go, and have a friendly competition to see who can spot more varieties. The DMs at CCV are among the nicest folks you'll meet, I agree that paying one for a guided night dive (if y'all are comfortable with diving at night) is a thrill that you will cherish. Some of us even prefer night diving to day diving once we become familiar with a spot and it's fauna.

+1 for the AKR Dolphin Encounter/Snorkel

You will see alot of seahorses on this trip.

Just enjoy !!!!

+1 for the AKR Dolphin Encounter/Snorkel

I've heard a lot of people say you are better off snorkeling with the Dolphins than doing the actual dive. Anyone here who has done both, and can point us in the right direction?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom