CoCo View Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobagoman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.
Our group of 24 divers flew down to Roatan on Continental out of Baltimore (through Houston) on Saturday the 8th of October and arrived in Roatan without any problems at around 11:30am. Everyone's luggage made it down intact and we were met by CoCo View's Nora after clearing customs. Another group from R&D scuba was also arriving at the same time, so there were alot of CoCo View guests milling around. We were quickly loaded onto busses and taken the 15 minute ride to the boat house where we were met with a boat to take us to the Cay on which CoCo View is situated, Nora made the transition painless.

Check in was a breeze, my wife and I were in Bungalow A, closest to the bar, and everyone else was spread out in the Cabanas and Bungalows. We were told to meet at 2:30 in the room above the bar for a dive briefing, and that lunch had been held for us, it was about 1:30 pm.

The weather was hot and humid (low 90's) with overcast skys. The overcast conditions lasted all week (it is the beginning of the rainy season). It rained most nights, sometimes briefly and sometimes well into the morning. The temperatures dropped through the week to the mid- 80's. We had a couple of partly sunny days.

The dive briefing gave us the run down on day and night diving and the requirments, then we were all taken to do an orientation dive. My wife and I would be diving nitrox all week and were pleased with how easy the procedures for this were.

It was humurous for us to be doing a checkout with the DM's. We were all mostly instructors or divemasters and have not been on the receiving end of a mask flood and clear and regulater recovery in along time, but we have all demonstrated it so many times that we could have done it in our sleep.

We were led around CoCo View's front yard and shown the layout of the Prince Albert and where Newman's and CoCo Views wall were located and how the anchor chain and string of bottles led you to and from the resort to these dive sites. Very easy to use even in low vis conditions.

That was the only dive we did that first day.

The lodging was nice. The king bed in the Bungalow is soft and comfortable and the air conditioning kept the humidity at bay. They are roomy with a rustic cabin feel. There was a small refrigerator, a small bathroom with a shower and many shelves and tables (no drawers). The french doors opened out onto the deck looking south over the Caribbean towards mainland Honduras and featured a couple of deck chairs and a comfortable hammock. We really never had any problem with the electricity and there was plenty of hot water. Under and around the bungalows and cabanas are Eel Grass beds with sandy flats and some rocky stretches. Don't miss looking for critters in these areas from the walkways, and also don't miss Orlando's Moray Eel feedings every morning at 7 am.

The food was okay, it was tasty and filling and mostly american cuisine. It was served at 7am, 12 pm and 6:30 pm. All the staff were VERY friendly and accomodating.

We were assigned to boat 2 (they were running 4 boats all week) And we had about 18 assigned to our boat. We normally don't like diving anything larger than a 6-pack, but since it was all friends and co-workers from our shop, it wasn't so bad. The boats left at 8:30am and 2:30pm each day. Don't miss a one! I got in 27 dives while I was there! They was plenty of room on the boats, even when we had a full load. Their only downside is that they are slow movers. Luckily most of the dive sites are only 10 minutes out.
Our divemaster for the week was Jessie, a jovial and helpful man from the mainland that had this amazing ability to find whatever he was looking for and more. You always knew when he found something by the duck "quack" from his inline noisemaker. Our boat captain was Ruben, a young guy with a quick smile who was always ready to help with any situation and loved to hand out pieces of fruit between dives and always calling it something it wasn't. Together they were a great pair to dive with all week.

The diving went from mediocre to outstanding. Some of our favorites were 'Valley of the Kings', '40 foot point', and 'Menagerie'. The walls are just outstanding and a pleasure to dive. I would have to rate the diving well below the South Pacific, just below St. Lucia and Tobago, but on par with Cozumel and Bonaire. Lots of little critters and some very healthy and prolific reefs of both hard and soft corals. Water temps ranged from the low to mid 80's and visibilities ranged from 5' on outgoing tides around the Prince Albert (50' on incoming tides) to 120'+ at 'Carol's Place'. Actually that was some of the best visibility I had ever seen. Depths ranged from 10' on the way into CoCo View to as deep as you are qualified to go (although CoCoView asks you to keep it under 130'). Seas were almost always flat to mill-pond calm. If you like sea horses you will love the diving here, they are abundant! Also keep and eye out for the elusive frogfish, I only saw one, but it was memorable!

There are fresh water rinses for gear and cameras on the docks and by the lockers and also fresh water showers. One thing about the diving, your stuff doesn't have a chance to dry between dives and begins to smell fairly 'sweet' by the end of the week. Take my advice and bring a 'Sink the Stink' packet to soak your gear in before the final try at drying it before it has to be packed for the trip back home, your nose will thank you.

Topside we didn't do much but sleep and eat and drink. Drinks ran about $3.50 for Pina Coladas to $4.00 for White Russians and $2.50 for bottled beer.

We ended up doing about five dives a day; the two boat dives, the drop off dives on the way in and a night dive. They now don't let you pick where you are dropped off, but have designated drop off points depending on whether it is the afternoon or morning dive.

The night diving is spectacular and easy logistically. Don't miss it!!! Lot's of octopus at night, even around the dock and walkways. Look for the spotted eagle ray to swim in around the lagoon next to the Bungalow's each evening and morning.

The bugs are bad, mosquitto's, no see-ums and knats. Definetly take bug spray and have it handy at your dive locker as your getting out of your wetsuit, they seem to love the taste of saltwater coated skin and attack enmasse at this vulnerable time.
Never had a problem with 'sea lice' nor did any of our party.

'Poncho' the young Golden Retriever at the resort is a wonderful and well kept dog. He will be your best friend while you stay there if you bring him a treat and a toy. He loves to look for sea life with you around the lagoon, especially at night when you use your flashlight to find interesting stuff. Just don't let him knock you in, in his exuberance to see what you are looking at!

If you hear a frantic "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" Don't freak and look around for an old lady, it is just the bars parrot, who's name is slipping my mind at this moment. Anyway, he is a character and very talkative!

We didn't do any shore excursions, we were too busy diving! Some of the vendors that set up each day at lunch have some nice stuff. Not too expensive either.

The trip home went smoothly also, Nora again expedited the process getting out of the country and all flights were on time and all luggage survived the trip.

Overall this was a great place to visit and dive, I give it a very enthusiastic two thumbs up!

Did I night dive? Heck yeah! I think I only missed one night, and that was the first night there when we were all wore out from the trip down (plus I wanted to familiarize myself with the 'front yard' a little more during the day before I did my first night dive.
Thanks for the link to the pictures, pretty cool seeing the Prince Albert and Mr. Bud above water!

Tobagoman,
What an excellent trip report. You covered everything. I am trying to get a group to go down and this will be an excellent read for them. I had to laugh at your check out dive experience. We too are a group of mostly DM's and it will be funny to see us all doing these "skills" for ourselves! I hope I don't mess up!!!!
Thanks a gain for a great report.
Susie

Scuba Susie:
I had to laugh at your check out dive experience.

Small point, but that dive is always referred to at CCV as an orientation dive.

It's true purpose is to orient you to the "Front Yard" dive site. Think about the most difficult part of a night dive. The fear of finding your way back.

The real joy of CCV is not the great boats- but that Front Yard dive... at night!

The orientation dive and constant familiarization with the "Front Yard" eliminates that issue. You will know the Front Yard pretty quickly.

The platform in 3' has the original anchor chain from the ship, running out the 300 feet into 35fsw to its port bow. Then there's a floaty rope to the Dc3 and so on...

You can't get lost.

But somehow, people still do.

And yes, even instructors learn something new every day. Some have no clue what it is to dive in 84* water. It can get pretty funny. Like DM's at any resort, CCV's DM's have seen it all.

Here's the CoCoCam, a view of the front yard during daylight hours:

http://www.cocoviewresort.com/webcams.html

Nice report. Where'd you see the frogfish? I haven't seen one there in a couple of years and it's high on my wish list this trip. My first trip to CCV in '99 was in Oct where it rained 24/7 the whole week. I swore I'd never go in rainy season again. As they say...never say never! I'm leaving Sat so I'm really watching that stinkin' storm Wilma.

Jose is the popcorn eating parrot in the bar. Very nice and friendly. I'm currently typing this out while he yells various diver's names from across the bar.

We've seen both the frog fish and a scorpion fish so far along with the usual assortment of critters. I couldn't tell you where we were at exactly as I just overheard the divemaster explaining to another passenger what exactly that fish was we saw down there. I think the scorpion fish was at Parrot Tree or Pirate Tree, something like that and the frog fish was at Calvin's Crack.

Scorpion fish are everywhere, just blasted hard to see! Calvin's Crack, eh? One of my favorite sites so I'll keep a good eye out. I'm sure Jesse's keeping an eye on it and will know exactly where it is.

Have fun the rest of the week!

Dee,

My wife got a pic of a frogfish at Church Reef when we were at Reef House Resort in April 2005 - I don't know if the CoCo View boats hit that spot or not. It was our first dive of the trip. I saw a Harlequin Pipefish in the shallows around 30' depth near the mooring buoy tiedown - the frogfish was closer to 100' depth down the wall.

Back
Top Bottom