Trip Report Coco View Trip Report: July/August 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, that might be the same grouper that I saw, but only once.

I had originally been concerned that diving CCV's "Front Yard" over and over again might get too repetitive, but it did not, at least during that one-week trip of mine. One thing that I liked was looking for potentially resident animals in the same spots in which I had seen them before - and I often did, such as the mantis shrimp that had built his burrow near the safety stop buoy, the turtles in the wheelhouse of the Prince Albert at night, the barracuda hiding under the dive platform, or this grouper that you saw repeatedly. Repeat sightings of resident animals are especially good for photographers that want to get just the right shot of a subject.

Did you see or hear anything about the turtles on the wheelhouse of the wreck at night?
No, nobody mentioned anything about the turtles. In fact, we didn't see any turtles, anywhere, all week.

@Trailboss123 great trip report!

I just committed to a trip to Coco View for March 2019. Now the only question is do I do a one week trip (and maybe a trip to the Maldives later in the year) or two weeks in Coco View? Unfortunately, the budget won't allow for the 2 week CCV option and another trip.

@Trailboss123 great trip report!

I just committed to a trip to Coco View for March 2019. Now the only question is do I do a one week trip (and maybe a trip to the Maldives later in the year) or two weeks in Coco View? Unfortunately, the budget won't allow for the 2 week CCV option and another trip.
I think 1 week at Coco View would be plenty (for me). You end up getting in so much diving in a week- I would prefer to go to an additional place. That is sort of a "me" thing too-- I like variety and change. It would obviously be cheaper to stay 2 weeks in one place from an airfare standpoint, but again, I felt like 1 week was just perfect, as did some of the others in our group.

Hey @Trailboss123 , thanks for the great report. Can you explain (and maybe others can too) why I've heard really negative things from some other divers re Coco View?? Very hard to square those experiences (dirty, lousy rooms, bad food, etc.) with your outstanding experience and report. Have they done an upgrade/renovation/overhaul recently? Many thanks.

Hey @Trailboss123 , thanks for the great report. Can you explain (and maybe others can too) why I've heard really negative things from some other divers re Coco View?? Very hard to square those experiences (dirty, lousy rooms, bad food, etc.) with your outstanding experience and report. Have they done an upgrade/renovation/overhaul recently? Many thanks.
Well, this was my first trip to Coco View, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have never heard any bad reports about Coco View, myself. @Doc has stayed there many times over many years and is probably our resident expert on Coco View. I am sure he can shed some light. I did stay in one of the "over the water" bungalows, which I believe are a bit of an upgrade and I did not look at any of the other rooms. The entire resort was kept immaculately clean, in my opinion. It is not a new resort. It has been there for years and reflects its age, but it is very well maintained from my perspective. It is one of the few places that I know of which has a super high rate of loyal repeat customers. So, they must be doing something right.

I haven't read any such negatives that were referenced. The biggest problem CCV has is when non-diving spouses don't look at the brochures or website. Expectations as to what constitutes a "resort" in different travelers experience base- their prior experiences in what is an "Ai", this too can cause some of the very few negative reviews I managed to find on Twit Advisor.

We go there at least once a year, usually two weeks.

great report. haven't heard anything negative about new owners....from your report sounds like everything is still running very smoothly

The new owners are I think seven years in, Not so new, lots of improvements.

The short term fill-in managers, Scott & Patti have moved back home to NY, the owners long search for long term management has found Steve & Aletha Becklin.

The diving machine continues to crank it out.

I haven't read any such negatives that were referenced. The biggest problem CCV has is when non-diving spouses don't look at the brochures or website. Expectations as to what constitutes a "resort" in different travelers experience base- their prior experiences in what is an "Ai", this too can cause some of the very few negative reviews I managed to find on Twit Advisor.

We go there at least once a year, usually two weeks.

The new owners are I think seven years in, Not so new, lots of improvements.

The short term fill-in managers, Scott & Patti have moved back home to NY, the owners long search for long term management has found Steve & Aletha Becklin.

The diving machine continues to crank it out.
Could you give some info on Steve and Aletha?

All I know is Steve is a Florida building-code guy, a. hammer and nails type. His partner, Aletha has a management/accounting background.

I never saw much import for my, nor any resort's guest's actual need for any interaction with management other than to facilitate my on-site immediate requirements. All prior CCV management has had that very well in hand. I've previously read odd comments about social interactions with any and every resort's management, I just never judged anyone in that position by any standard regarding their social skills. Some really good managers are really pills. At CCV, all they have to do is maintain a consistent and good product, no small feat. I could care less if they smile or vist my dinner table. Just me.

Back
Top Bottom