Cochran Commander Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BurBunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help. :confused:

I got surprised last week by winning a Cochran Commander computer while on a dive trip aboard the Nekton Rorqual. While I was in the market for a DC, so the timing was perfect, Cochran was not what I had been looking at :wink:

So, my learning curve is a bit steep here. I'm a bit familiar with Suunto's RGBM and Uwatec's Buhlmann algorhythms, but not with the modified Haldane used by Cochran, except that it's rather more liberal than the other two. I do know that there is adjustable conservatism in the Cochran, but not sure what value I should set to get a similar result. 10? 15? 20? Looking for opinions here from people better versed in decompression theory between the various models. It certainly doesn't help that Cochran hasn't submitted their computers for comparison testing in the past few years.

I definitely don't want to get into a debate of pro/con with the Cochran - I believe I must have won it for a reason - I just want to learn to use it and its features the best way I can.

Also looking for a used Analyst CD (v. 3.06 or later) and probe.

Any help you all can provide will be MUCH appreciated :D

Amber

Go over to Divernet (www.divernet.com). Look around undil you find the computer tests, perhaps pick your algorithim. If I recall correctly they used a 50% conservatism factor to get resutls similar to a Vyper. Congrats, a liveaboard vacation and a free $500 dive computer.

BurBunny, Congrats on winning the Commander. I think you will be happy with it. After doing exahustive research (for about a year) I purchased a Cochran Gemini (primary) and Commander (backup). Check with Cochran regarding the best version of Analyst for your specific model. Stay away from version 3.6. It had a bug that may, or may not, affect your style of diving. Set your conservatism to various percentages and then compare via pre-dive planning mode dive times per depth and compare these to other models of computers to find a level of conservatism you feel comfortable with. Hope this helps

Larry,

Thank you for your comments. Great suggestion about playing with the pre-dive planning mode vs. other computers. I know one of my LDS which is a Cochran dealer will let me play with their other computers doing this :wink:

However, your mention of a bug in 3.06 has me a bit concerned. Is there a v.3.07? The sticker on the band says to use v.3.06 or higher only. What is the bug in 3.06?

Amber

Burbunny, I think Cochran has yanked 3.6 (replaced with the most current version 3.7). So, you might only encounter it in certain resale situations or old/outdated stock from online outlets etc. I seem to recall some glitch with the DAN data compilation (something most people are not into anyway). Visit the Cochran web site (search Cochran Undersea). Thier customer service people would be happy to address any questions/ concerns. Safe diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom