Cobra or Aeris 500AI ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin_in_Denver

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking to buy dive computers, and though we are leaning towards air integration, we aren't set 100% on it at the moment...maybe 95%!

The two models are the Cobra and the Aeris 500AI. Just looking for some input as to good and bad of each as I have heard that they are both very good computers. Any help is greatly appreciated.......

Hello Divin_in_Denver, welcome to the ScubaSourcefamily. Glad to have you aboard! There's been many in depth discussions about computer selection in the Diving Computers Section Have you had the chance to review any of those yet?

In a nutshell, many divers here prefer the Cobra... including myself.

I was looking at the two models also. Both are excellent. I found that I liked the Cobra's form-factor with the compass. The PC software for the Cobra was a selling point for me too. I didn't look too much into the Aeris software, but was able to download and play with a demo of the Cobra's software from Suunto's site.

Try visiting a few LDS and play with the actual computer. Good luck!

While I am a wrist computer guy, I have used a COBRA and 2 of my friends have them. As I have said in other posts, Suunto software is laid out logically and is easy to use. It is a small unit and you can add the SK-7 compass to it.

It would not be fair to say the COBRA over Aeris as I have only used a COBRA. But with that said, the COBRA is a fine computer. It is rugged, small and has all of the functions you need as well as is simple, which to me is a big plus.

thanks for the responses so far...one of my concerns about the Cobra is that our lsd said the learning curve is definitely higher, and as my wife and I aren't extremely tech oriented, wondered if the the Aeris would be more user friendly. Also, the Aeris stores 12 dives, but I was told that it saves more than that for downloadable purposes??? We are going to Cozumel on Sunday for a week and plan to do about 15 dives. I don't need to be able to view all 15 at once, but I don't want to lose the data either before I can put it on my computer.

Just curious, Does your LDS sell the Aeris? And does he/she sell the Cobra?

The Cobra is not any harder to use than any other computer I have come across. As I said, have not used the Aeris, but have used alot of others. Bottom line, buy what works for you and fits your budget. It is always nice to try one out if possible. Have a great time in Coz'

I am not a true fan of air integrated computers, though I haven't absolutely made up my mind; I don't know if I like that kind of dependancy. However, anytime you have more than one button on a computer, the learning curve is going to be increased. I like the menu system on both the Cobra and Aeris line; both are intuitive and user friendly. Settings are easily changed by the user on-site (no need for a PC interface to do that). I have not used the software for the Aeris, though the Suunto software is promising and looks good. The thing that helped me make up my mind was looking into the decompression models of several computers and I settled on the Suunto Vyper (non-air integrated cousin of the Cobra). I liked the deco model for the type of diving that I do and the fact it had user replaceable batteries (I was torn between the Uwatec and Suunto lines, and this was the deciding factor). Look at the displays and menu system and see which is more your style. If your LDS has a try-before-you-buy option, take advantage of it.

And, have a grand time in Cozzy...easy and fun dives down there! Cheers :)

Kauai Diver...to answer your question, yes, my LSD does sell both units. They definitely recommended both models, but said that to get started they thought the Aeris was a little bit easier,(could be a bias as both guys I talked to used the 500ai). I am definitely leaning toward the Cobra, as everyone seems to indicate that the software package is better. They both seem to be solid machines though...its a tough decision. We leave in two days though so I better make one!

I'll have to echo your LDS's recommendation that the Aeris (made by Oceanic) is easier to read. Not by a huge margin, but easier still. You'll have to see and play with both units. Sit down at the shop and flip through both manuals. Though the Aeris will be easier to read the Cobra is not difficult by any standard. I used to run a dive store as well, and we sold both Suunto and Oceanic. And have to say that we would sell more Suunto, based on it's capabilities. Either way you wouldn't be making a wrong choice. The question is, which is going to make you feel more comfortable in the water where it counts?

I just purchased the Cobra yesterday and dove with it today, and I thought it was excellent and easy to use. Once you understand the menu system, it's very easy to navigate to whatever feature you are looking for. My one complaint is that my dives today were at about 25 feet, and the Cobra doesn't appear to show the no deco time for anything above 30 feet. I'm wondering if it would show the time once it actually become a factor (ie. multiple dives above 25 feet).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom