Cobra and Nitrox Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, what's the deal again with putting the Cobra in Nitrox mode? I know you have to change the Model setting, but that setting only shows up in a particular circumstance, and I can't remember what it is. Under Set Pref Options I only see LIGHT and UNITS, not MODEL. Arghh.....

I don't have a Cobra anymore but from memory if you're in Nitrox mode and you completed a dive within a certain time, past 24 hours?, it will not allow you to switch out of it. I believe it locks you in to retain the nitrogen loading due to it using a different algorithm for Air and Nitrox modes. You can just set if for 21% or wait it out.

Actually it was left in Gauge mode from the repair shop and I want to switch to Nitrox. I'm pushing all kinds of buttons and it ain't goin'. I think there's some special steps you need to take first, like standing on one leg and rubbing your head, unless it's an alternate Tuesday...

u4ia: The manual doesn't explain this, which is one of the things I love about Cobra...

I agree, the manual leaves something to be desired. I just got a vyper and am getting used to the menus and submenus. If the Cobra is similar, I think to switch between "models" goes something like this:

press MODE-->scroll with time or plan button to 3 SET (select by pressing MODE button)--> scroll to 3 SET PREF (select)--> scroll to 2 MODEL (select)-->scroll with to AIR NITROX or GAUGE then press OK (mode button)

try that. oh yeah you have to stand on your RIGHT leg and press while doing this or it wont work ;-)

mccabejc:
Okay, what's the deal again with putting the Cobra in Nitrox mode? I know you have to change the Model setting, but that setting only shows up in a particular circumstance, and I can't remember what it is. Under Set Pref Options I only see LIGHT and UNITS, not MODEL. Arghh.....

Jim, I have a Vyper so I don't know if it's the same, try the following:

1. Mode
2. Set
3. SetDive
4 Nitox

Joe

Thanks, but the problem is that the MODEL option (under which you can select Nitrox/Air/Gauge) only comes up under certain conditions, and that's the dilemma.

There are restrictions on switching modes. I think that if you were in gague mode, then you cannot switch to another mode for 24 hours.

I just got my cobra manual out and it says " It is not possible to change between air, nitrox and gauge modes before the instrument has counted down the no-flying time with exception from air to nitrox mode. In gauge mode, the no-flying time is always 48 hours."

I just leave mine in nitrox mode. After 2 hours it defaults to 21% at 1.4 po2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom