Cobra and affilitate dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so it appears that the Cobra is one of the most popular and trusted names in AI dive computers.

I was checking out their site, and it appears that:

1. The Cobra is their AI dive computer.

2. The Vyper is the wrist-mounted, non air integrated version of the Cobra.

3. The Stinger is basically an abbreviated, smaller, watch-sized Vyper.

4. The Vytec is the flagship model made by the company, and is a Cobra on your wrist, with full air integration and is completely wireless. Cool.

Do I have that right?

For those of you who are diving with a Vytec, where are you putting your compass? Other wrist? Are you diving without one? I can't see doing that here in inland dark waters...

Welcome to the board from the Cold waters of New England USA

Compass on your left wrist, computer or bottom timer on your right wrist.

.................Arduous

If I had to choose between the Cobra or Vytec I'd choose the Vytec only because it is wristmountable. I prefer wristmount over console.

Thanks for the welcome. :D

Hey, I'm looking for more dive buddies, so if anyone out there wants to dive anywhere in South Carolina or Georgia, let me know. It's only a few hours' drive.

For that matter, FLA is only a few hours South... I'd love to hook up...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too... Wrist mount would be nice. I can imagine that it'd make things really convienient. After all, when I'm looking to check my gauges, it takes me longer to locate and pull out my cluster (depending on how I've got it secured or if (gasp!) I've got it secured at all (No flames, please!) than it does to look at my guages and make an assessment.

For that reason, I'd think that "on my wrist" is the best place for this thing. However, does it ever get in the way? They seem big and cumbersome, and maybe a hassle for penetration dives, which I plan to do soon.

Then there's the compass issue... And a console also makes a nice place for a writing tablet, which I am finding is too much of a pain to find and use if it's in my BC's pocket...

:D

When you are using the compass, do you do it like PADI teaches, where you grab your forearm with the compass hand and all of that? That leaves no hands free while you are swimming... At least keeping it on your guages leaves one hand free...

with about 12 dives on it and I like it very very much.

The one feature you didn't list about the Vytec is that it is capable of keep track of 3 nitrox mixtures as you to assist with planned decompression diving (<<< insert usual statement about don't do this type of diving unless you have proper training). I haven't done this dive yet, but I'm looking forward to observing how the Vytec functions when I do do it.

As far as compass, I've switched to a Suunto SK7 mounted on a slate that I will stow in a pocket when not in use. What's cool about this method is that I can hold the compass in my left hand and angle my arm and computer so that I can glance at both instruments at almost the same time while swimming the bearing.

I also am enjoying the hoseless feature. However, since I had a DiveRite SPG mounted before I got the Vytec, I'm still packing the SPG incase something goes strange.

The Vytec is in the upper range of prices for dive computers, but for the features and functionality, I think it is well worth it.

Originally posted by SeaJay
For that reason, I'd think that "on my wrist" is the best place for this thing. However, does it ever get in the way? They seem big and cumbersome, and maybe a hassle for penetration dives, which I plan to do soon.
At this time, I've had no problems with "bulkiness" and getting in the way. I usually take the computer and rotate it around my arm toward me so that I don't have to twist my wrist to see it. (As an example, take your watch and rotate it toward you 90 degrees so the face is "top edge" of your arm if you were making the "thumbs up" :thumb: sign).

I've also experimented with putting the computer on the inside of my arm, but don't like the reading angle.

Basically, you need to try several placements and discover what works and is comfortable for you.
When you are using the compass, do you do it like PADI teaches, where you grab your forearm with the compass hand and all of that? That leaves no hands free while you are swimming... At least keeping it on your guages leaves one hand free...
The slate that I mentioned in my previous post is about 6 inches long and when held the same orientation as my body, acts as the lubber line. So as long as when I'm "one-handing" it correctly, I'm swimming the correct bearing and still have my right hand free for other things.

Where'd you buy yours? Maybe if I could find a decent price on either the Vytec or the Cobra, that would help make a decision...

You can get Suunto products online from the UK or from some online places in the US. You may want to order it from the UK because it is then supported by Suunto UK. Suunto US may not support a computer bought online in the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom