Cobalt QD fitting- Field repairs for the quick disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A couple of Cobalt users have contributed suggestions fo field repairs to the quick-disconnect fitting when you discover the O-ring is leaking. Paul’s suggestion below for using the Cobalt A/C charger as an aid to installing the small O-ring is brilliant. The O-rings are difficult to install without damaging them, or completely disassembling the fitting.

From Paul Randal
I've done this several times in the field rather than using a new hose (which I buy once or twice a year). Put one of the replacement o-rings (I got them through Atomic from my dive shop) on the jack of the Atomic mains charger. Push it all the way to the end. Wrap two turns of thin Scotch tape on the end, with about 3-4mm off the end. Push the o-ring onto the tape. Put the 3-4mm of tape onto the central spine inside the locking assembly. Carefully slide the o-ring down on the central spine until it's off the tape. Now gently push the o-ring into the groove. Did it once in Indonesia a few years ago and just did it right now in Singapore before heading to Male for a dive trip. Given how twitchy the Cobalts have been in the past, my wife and I carry a spare Cobalt 2 each and 3-4 spare hoses. Hope this helps someone.​

And suggestions for sourcing the O-rings to make field repairs with.

From bractime
Thank you for your reply, I have resolved this issue. I have been able to source all the O-rings I needed from "the o-ring store" www.theoringstore.com. The O-rings you need are Qnty 2 size 003 90 durometer, Qnty 1 size 009 70 durometer, Qnty 1 size 012 70 durometer, and the 2 small inner O-rings are metric size 1.0mm CS x 2.5mm ID 70 durometer. I did get the above tool kit listed in my first post which really helped to get the small O-rings on and protect the size 012 O-ring from the threads during the install. Instead of using tape I installed the 3 smaller O-rings in an outer to inner order that allowed the O-ring to slide over the O-ring already installed. I will keep the tape method in mind next time. I have been diving using these new O-rings since August without any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom