O-rings for Oceanic/Sherwood HP QD Assemblies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John in GA

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a used Oceanic Pro Plus 3 computer with a QD hose assembly. I made a tool to disassemble the QD fitting so that I could clean and inspect it. I would like to replace the spindle O-rings (one in the QD hose end and one in the fitting on the computer.) and the O-ring that is under the head of the spindle that shuts off the air when the computer is not connected.

The O-ring under the head of the spindle (see photo) appears to be a metric O-ring. It may be a 1.25 x 5 mm. It feels like it may be a Duro 90 O-ring. I did not remove the other two spindle O-rings as I do not want to damage them until I can determine their size and obtain replacements. A -006 O-ring slides over the spindle and feels like a good fit but I have no idea what the groove size is in the fittings.

Does anyone have any good information on these O-rings? Does anyone have a parts diagram?

One last question, does anyone know if a replacement hose, less the coupling, can be ordered?

Thank you,

John

IMG_20210421_095529255.jpg
IMG_20210421_091015246.jpg

rsingler,

Thank you for the information. Of course I have every -900 series O-ring from -902 to -912. But no -901 on hand. I will pick up a few. The dimensions of the -901 are close to what I came up with when measuring the O-ring that goes under the head of the spindle. I suspect there is some deformation of this O-ring from use and that is likely a -901.

Do you happen to know the size of the O-rings that are in the barrel of the male and female QD parts? These are the O-rings that create the seal on the sides of the spindle. As I mentioned earlier, I would prefer not to remove them until I have replacements on hand.
Thanks,

John

P.S. The link about the hose does not work for me. I get the following.
ScubaBoard - Error
Discussion in 'Oceanic' started by owlbill, Dec 8, 2018.

lg.php

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

I moved the thread from an inactive forum list.
You should be able to access it now:
Oceanic High Pressure Quick Disconnect Hose

As far as the other two o-rings, I have a handwritten note that suggests 2-007 D75 and
2-012 D90. That information is worth exactly what you paid for it. It's my handwriting, but it was written a long time ago.
IMG_20210422_183231.jpg

rsingler,

Thank you! I will get some -007 D75 O-rings ordered. I'll have to switch to Viton get the D75 from my supplier. I suspect NBR D70 O-rings would function just fine with the tank pressures I work with. I will most likely make a tool, similar to the ones used for installing the HP piston O-ring in the body of the SP MK10's, as it looks like it could be a little tricky getting these O-rings installed..

Thanks for getting this information back online. I am sure it will help some others. These QD's seem ripe for some preventative maintenance. Mine had some salt build up and the spindle did not move freely as it should. Disassembly and cleaning alone made a tremendous improvement. Replacing the O-rings should insure long life of the otherwise disposable assembly. Now if I can just find a source for replacement hoses. I believe the small shop where my wife and daughter are taking their training is a Sherwood dealer. I'll see if he can order just the hose. If so I will pass along the part number.

Thanks again,

John

All,

Here is a quick update. The -901 does appear to be the correct size for placement under the tapered portion of the spindle. When you stretch a -901 slightly it matches the dimensions of the O-ring I removed. I was able to replace the two -007 O-rings without making any tools. A couple of Allen wrenches worked to create a stop and to push the O-ring into place. A small straw or tube would help to compress the O-ring and make getting it started easier. This is similar to installing the HP piston O-ring in a Scubapro MK10.

The only difficult part about conducting this work is the need for a tool to disassemble and reassemble the connector. Make sure not to loose, or forget to reinstall, the spring. Tools to install the -007 O-rings would be nice , and I will probably make a set, but they are not a must have.

After rebuilding the connector I had it in the pool and there were no leaks at 3000 PSI.

The O-rings I used were:

2x -007 D75 One for the male and one for the female portion of the QD connector. (I suspect D70 NBR O-rings would work just fine but the D75 Viton is probably better for higher Oxygen concentrations)
1x -901 D90 For under the head of the spindle. (Viton likely preferable for higher Oxygen concentrations.)
2x -012 D90 For attaching the female QD connector to the hose and for connecting the male QD connector to the computer. (Same thoughts about Viton.)

Scuba tools makes a set of tools for working on these connectors. Scubapro/Uwatec QDC Tool Kit Quick Disconnect

I am still looking for a source for the HP hose. The QD connectors should last forever with a little care and maintenance. My dealer has yet to get back to me regarding availability of just the hose.

As usual, this information is for discussion only and is not approved information from the manufacturer. It has not been proven to be safe or effective and is not meant to be a substitute for manufacturers procedures or service.

John

Know this is a bit old of a thread, but I have the same issue with the hose. I have some Aeris A300 AI that I got the tool, removed the QD and have no issues with the rings, the problem is the HP hose, I need a 7/16 male and 3/8 male HP hose. No swivel and no female fitting. Best I can find so far is an adapter from OmniSwivel that is 7/16M to 3/8M and says its LP and HP use. Anyone have any ideas on purchasing a hose directly. I am leaving in 2 weeks and had a hose tear that I can't trust diving.

Piranha Dive Mfg. lists a 36" Inch Oceanic Pro Series Rubber Gauge Hose that looks like it has the correct male end to fit the Oceanic QDC but it is listed as out of stock.

I added a Miflex High Pressure Carbon hose to my Oceanic QDC back in 2019. I used an OmniSwivel, PN: SZM-YFI, 3/8"-24 Male to 7/16-20"- Male Adapter. The Miflex HP hose has a 14mm air spool well, so I added an o-ring between the female end of the hose and the OmniSwivel adapter to snug up the fit. I am not near my scuba gear for a week, so I cannot tell you what size o-ring I added but it was a common size that was in my o-ring kit. I will update this later. I have over 250 dives on the Miflex HP hose set up with no issues.

I rebuilt the QDC connector using the Scuba Tools Scubapro/Uwatec QDC Tool Kit Quick Disconnect as mentioned previously. The diagram is here Oceanic High Pressure Quick Disconnect Hose. Folks have had difficulty finding the O-Ring #4 in the diagram. The part number is Sherwood 18523. Sherwood Service indicated that they still stock the o-ring and that it needs to be ordered through any authorized dealer. As previously stated, the 901 may work in lieu of the 18523. I decided to go with the 18523. The 901 is close in size and thickness. The other o-rings in the QDC that I used are the same as called out in the Sherwood parts diagram - 2 each 007, 1 each 904, 1 each 903. Others have used an 012 in lieu of the 904 and 903.

Update on the OmniSwivel Part # - SZM-XM, 3/8"-24 Male to 7/16-20"- Male

Just converted another Oceanic HP QDC hose to Miflex High Pressure Carbon hose. To follow up on my previous post (#8), I used a AS568-107 O-Ring between the female end of the Milflex High Pressure Carbon hose and the OmniSwivel adapter to snug up the fit.

Back
Top Bottom