Cobalt Coast Resort up for sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soon they’ll own the island. As it is, it is more like Cayman Dart, than Grand Cayman.

I’m not there and have no standing to judge if it is good or bad, but that’s the way it seems!
Didn’t his group want some obscenely tall high rise condo complex a few years back? Still planned? Seems like he’s trying to turn it into a Caribbean Dubai.

Sold. Email received today explaining that I get to start over finding new accommodations for our December dive trip. Sigh.

"Clearly Cayman and Reef Divers Resorts, owners of Cobalt Coast Resort, have announced that after seven years of operations on Grand Cayman, Cobalt Coast Resort has been sold. With this development, Clearly Cayman and Reef Divers will no longer be operating as a dive resort and dive operator on Grand Cayman. We are looking forward to focusing and improving our properties located on the islands of Cayman Brac, Little Cayman and South Caicos, TCI."
Was scheduled right after Thanksgiving. They said we sold. Too bad for you. I'm stuck with the airfare. Used to be a big fan of Reef Divers.

I'm surprised that Clearly Cayman did not try to accommodate you at Brac or LC Reef resort if you already had a booking with them for Cobalt.

Was scheduled right after Thanksgiving. They said we sold. Too bad for you. I'm stuck with the airfare. Used to be a big fan of Reef Divers.
I was told by somebody at LCBR a few weeks ago that they were working to shift people booked at CC over to Brac. Were you not given that option?

Just got a confirmation email this morning from Reef Divers that the dive shop and the resort will be closed November 19 this year. It has been sold to a "private undisclosed buyer". They say they want to use the proceeds to reinvest in their other 3 dive resorts on the sister islands and South Caicos.

Just got a confirmation email this morning from Reef Divers that the dive shop and the resort will be closed November 19 this year. It has been sold to a "private undisclosed buyer". They say they want to use the proceeds to reinvest in their other 3 dive resorts on the sister islands and South Caicos.
Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, and South Caicos will continue to be the focus of Reef Divers Resorts​

Clearly Cayman and Reef Divers Resorts, owners of Cobalt Coast Resort, have announced that after seven years of operations in Grand Cayman, Cobalt Coast Resort will be sold to a private, undisclosed buyer.

Reef Divers Resorts renowned welcoming hospitality and famed valet diving service will continue to be offered at its iconic dive resorts in the Cayman Sister Islands, Little Cayman Beach Resort and Cayman Brac Beach Resort, along with the newest addition, East Bay Resort, in the Turks & Caicos Islands.

The sale of Cobalt Coast Resort, the smallest of the Reef Divers Resorts, allows the company to reinvest in the other resorts in its efforts to create even more memorable dive vacation experiences.

“We want to thank all guests for their continued support, especially, during the last two years as we navigated the difficulties of the COVID-19 pandemic together. We deeply appreciate your support in all our endeavors and hope to see you all in Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, or South Caicos again soon!” Jason Belport, Executive Vice President of Reef Divers Dive Resorts.

Cobalt Coast Resort and the dive shop will close on November 19, 2022.​

I hear that CC will be used as apartments to house on-island workers. No diving or replacement resort. I never liked the place. so no tears shed here.

I hear that CC will be used as apartments to house on-island workers. No diving or replacement resort. I never liked the place. so no tears shed here.
My son and I spent 2 weeks at Cobalt Coast when the dive op was still Divetech, in 2007 and 2008. We had a very good time there. We would do morning boat dives with Divetech. One year was very calm and we always left from the resort and got in a lot of north wall diving. The other year was a bit rougher, we left from the West Bay a few days and did more dives on the west side. We generally spent the afternoon shore diving or doing boat dives with other operators we had met over the years. We had a blast doing several DPV dives and a try CCR dive that were offered by Divetec.

I never visited Cobalt Coast under Clearly Cayman and Reef Divers. My wife and I were thinking of spending a easy week there when we heard about the closure. Yours and other reviews of East Bay Resort on South Caicos have made me shy away from that location. I have had 2 great trips to LCBR and 1 to CBBR, I would go back to either, and might.

My son and I spent 2 weeks at Cobalt Coast when the dive op was still Divetech, in 2007 and 2008. We had a very good time there. We would do morning boat dives with Divetech. One year was very calm and we always left from the resort and got in a lot of north wall diving. The other year was a bit rougher, we left from the West Bay a few days and did more dives on the west side. We generally spent the afternoon shore diving or doing boat dives with other operators we had met over the years. We had a blast doing several DPV dives and a try CCR dive that were offered by Divetec.

I never visited Cobalt Coast under Clearly Cayman and Reef Divers. My wife and I were thinking of spending a easy week there when we heard about the closure. Yours and other reviews of East Bay Resort on South Caicos have made me shy away from that location. I have had 2 great trips to LCBR and 1 to CBBR, I would go back to either, and might.
Likewise I never dived there under Clearly Cayman management. Never liked Ari or Dora (or whatever her name was). Food was so so. It was too windy to dive from the resort so we also ended up driving to the ‘other’ side each day. It was very expensive and the rooms were mediocre at best. I’m off to LCBR in two weeks for trip #3.

I thought Ari was great and the rooms were fine in their time early on. But they probably didn't invest enough (anything?) in upgrades or maintenance over the years and it sounded like Clearly Cayman wound up with some backlog to address.

It wasn't the greatest dive resort location though, given that despite a dock you needed to travel to the dive boat a lot of the time anyway - I think we stayed there 2-3 weeks various times of year and that's about how many times we were actually able to board the boat there. The shore diving was also a nice idea in theory, but got blown out a lot and wasn't all that great anyway unless you went for a very long swim, or scootered out to the wall. (Worked a bit better when Divetech was also at Turtle Reef and that was included.)

We only ate breakfast there and the occasional other meal it was good for convenience, stuck with renting a car as there are so many restaurants to choose from. We never went after Clearly Cayman bought it, but I wouldn't have wanted to do AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom