COBALT COAST RESORT on GRAND CAYMAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has nothing to do with Cobalt pier or valet service.
Yes it does, at least in part. When the winds, and therefore waves, are at an angle to the pier, it makes boarding and off loading the boats very difficult. I know because this happened to us. And the boat took a pretty good pounding. That they fill tanks on the boat is another factor. I know this because they told me. No fun filling tanks on a rocking boat. For these two reasons, CC has to use the west side pier when conditions on their house pier are unfavorable. Using the west side pier = west side diving.

Liquor is very expensive in Cayman, the local rum and beer is a little better but still pricey. At the airport, before we leave the US and after we go through security, we go to the duty-free store and we each buy a liter bottle of liquor. It won't be cheap at the airport but it will be cheaper than Cayman prices.

The duty free shop will either deliver the liquor to you as you board the plane, or they will seal the bag and give it to you to carry. You can bring more then the allowance but then you will have to pay duty, but I don't know how much that would be.

This system works great if Grand Cayman is your final destination, but it isn't as easy if you have a connecting flight to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. In those situations, after you clear Immigration and Customs on arrival in Grand Cayman, you have to exit, turn, and come back inside the ticket lounge to recheck your luggage. Then you have to go through Security to get to the departure lounge to catch your connecting flight.

Security will not let you carry any liquids over 3 ounces and they will confiscate your precious bottle. They won't care that it is sealed and duty-free. So before you re-check your bags you have to wrap your bottle well and pack it inside your checked luggage - it's a short flight and it should be okay - and they sell padded, reusable bags for bottles on Amazon.

At least that's the way it works now, but the GCM airport has been undergoing significant renovations, so hopefully they will make the system better for in-transit passengers in the future. They sell duty-free liquor in the departure lounge at GCM - or at least they used to - but you cannot buy it for interisland travel, only international travel - it's expensive anyway.

But getting back to buying liquor on Grand Cayman. They don't sell it in grocery stores, you usually have to go to a liquor store but they are often located near grocery stores. Most of the stores on the island are closed on Sundays, but a few small convenience stores, like gas station mini-marts, are open on Sunday and may have alcohol for sale (after 1 pm, I think?) The Anchorage Convenience Store at the Cayman Island Yacht Club is open on Sundays and most holidays and they sell liquor.

On Brac, there is a small liquor store near the airport that you will pass on the way to the CBBR, guests can borrow bicycles at no charge from the resort and peddle over there to buy alcohol and sodas, but it is closed all day on Sunday. Wear a hat and bring water with you because it will be a hot trip.

On Little Cayman, the only store is in Blossom Village, near the LCBR, and it is a combined grocery and liquor mart and gas station. They are open on Sundays and I think that they sell alcohol on Sunday afternoons but I am not sure. You can walk there from the resort, or bicycle it's not far - it's just beyond the Hungry Iguana Restaurant - but if you go late in the afternoon you will get eaten alive by mosquitos at dusk/night. There's a lot of vegetation along the road on the walk back.

Of course you can easily drive (on the left) to a liquor store on all 3 Cayman islands if you rent a car.

Taxis aren't cheap but they are also an option. In Cayman the taxis do not take credit cards, they will accept US and Canadian money but the change will be in Cayman dollars.

Hope this helps, have fun!

Cayman Customs Duty Free Allowances:

1) Items accompanying a passenger -

(a) if such passenger is over the age of 18 years, up to 1 liter of potable spirits or 4 liters of wine or 1 case (not exceeding 9 liters) of beer;

(b) if such passenger is over the age of eighteen years, up to -

(i) 200 cigarettes; or

(ii) 250 grams tobacco

@KathyV

Is this still true with the new terminal? Will one be able to access their checked baggage to place the booze into prior to flying onto Brac?

This system works great if Grand Cayman is your final destination, but it isn't as easy if you have a connecting flight to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. In those situations, after you clear Immigration and Customs on arrival in Grand Cayman, you have to exit, turn, and come back inside the ticket lounge to recheck your luggage. Then you have to go through Security to get to the departure lounge to catch your connecting flight.

@KathyV

Is this still true with the new terminal? Will one be able to access their checked baggage to place the booze into prior to flying onto Brac?

You will need to collect your baggage to go through Customs so you should have access to stash your duty-free liquor in your bags before you recheck them for the flight to Brac.

I recently read that the airport now has an indoor corridor connecting the arrival lounge and the ticketing hall. That's nice because last month we needed to maneuver a broken luggage cart (that tipped over!) around the traffic and construction outside in order to access the ticketing hall to check in for our next flight.

But I haven't heard anything suggesting that the in-transit process has changed; so it is likely that you will still have to collect luggage, go to the ticketing hall to check in with Cayman Airways, recheck your baggage, and then go through Security to access the departure lounge and board your flight to Brac. And of course you cannot take a bottle through Security so you will need to put it inside your luggage before rechecking.

How much time do you have at GCM between flights. If you have a bit of time, after your check-in for Brac and recheck your bags, walk outside the ticketing hall and look for a sign advertising the free shuttle to the George Town Yacht Club just a few minutes away. The gray van for the GTYC make regular trips to and from the airport and you can also call the number on the sign and ask for a pick-up. If you have some carry-on bags they will stash them for you at the restaurant.

GTYC is a lovely location (both for indoor and outdoor eating) and they serve breakfast early on Saturday and Sunday. Their lunch menu is also great and we love their Cracked Conch. So if you have the time it is much nicer than waiting around the airport:

George Town Yacht Club

I will be interested to hear your report about the current status of the airport construction and the process for inter-island travel. When we were there the departure hall still wasn't completed, and that may still be the case. There were few amenities or vendors, tiny washrooms with long lines, a poor sound system, and not enough seating. But it was still under construction so it's got to get better soon!

I was happy to see that many of the other GCM processes were much improved during our recent visit, especially arrival, immigration and customs, and security.

You will need to collect your baggage to go through Customs so you should have access to stash your duty-free liquor in your bags before you recheck them for the flight to Brac.

I recently read that the airport now has an indoor corridor connecting the arrival lounge and the ticketing hall. That's nice because last month we needed to maneuver a broken luggage cart (that tipped over!) around the traffic and construction outside in order to access the ticketing hall to check in for our next flight.

But I haven't heard anything suggesting that the in-transit process has changed; so it is likely that you will still have to collect luggage, go to the ticketing hall to check in with Cayman Airways, recheck your baggage, and then go through Security to access the departure lounge and board your flight to Brac. And of course you cannot take a bottle through Security so you will need to put it inside your luggage before rechecking.

How much time do you have at GCM between flights. If you have a bit of time, after your check-in for Brac and recheck your bags, walk outside the ticketing hall and look for a sign advertising the free shuttle to the George Town Yacht Club just a few minutes away. The gray van for the GTYC make regular trips to and from the airport and you can also call the number on the sign and ask for a pick-up. If you have some carry-on bags they will stash them for you at the restaurant.

GTYC is a lovely location (both for indoor and outdoor eating) and they serve breakfast early on Saturday and Sunday. Their lunch menu is also great and we love their Cracked Conch. So if you have the time it is much nicer than waiting around the airport:

George Town Yacht Club

I will be interested to hear your report about the current status of the airport construction and the process for inter-island travel. When we were there the departure hall still wasn't completed, and that may still be the case. There were few amenities or vendors, tiny washrooms with long lines, a poor sound system, and not enough seating. But it was still under construction so it's got to get better soon!

I was happy to see that many of the other GCM processes were much improved during our recent visit, especially arrival, immigration and customs, and security.

Thank you! I'll update upon our return.

The other option is to buy locally and just place the bottle in our checked bag...I'm not about saving a few bucks over convenience! Been to the Yacht club...with 25 friends this trip, I think I'll keep it simple though :)

Thank you and Happy New Year to you!

So I have been sending off PSA announcements to the group...little tidbits on safety and whatnot...I sent four with # 4 being your liquor post...its the only PSA I received response on.......LOL!

George Town Yacht Club

It's fine to buy locally but keep in mind that the stores are closed on Brac on Sundays; so sometimes it is just easier to bring it with you - but you can borrow a bicycle from the resort and peddle over to the nearest store when they are open.

The ice machine for guest use at CBBR is behind the bar (near the bathrooms.) You can also ask for a mini-frig in your room.

The spa at CBBR is very nice but it tends to get booked up near the end of the week, so make your reservations soon after you arrive, if you are interested.

There is a separate exit door for Domestic flight arrivals. Have only seen it from the outside the other night. It is about 10 feet away from international arrivals. If the Duty Free — which is not up and running yet, it is possible it will not be accessible upon arrival. Some countries like Australia have one at arrivals. Don’t know what the final set up will be, but a separate arrival area for domestic flights is certainly new. Until it is all up and running I would purchase the Duty Free before you get here just in case. There are some rums etc that can be had for decent prices. Yes I did see the new corridor on Friday night. In fact walked it several times as Miami/American Airlines were busy teasing their passengers. New laws were recently passed in The Cayman Islands regarding the sale of liquor on Sundays. Not sure if either of the sister islands has an option up and running yet, but now there are several options here in GC.

but you can borrow a bicycle from the resort and peddle over to the nearest store when they are open.

Yeah, I grabbed a rusted bike with two flats last time we were at LCBR...the basket held enough booze for the week though;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom