Cobalt 2 Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From the Netherlands:
I've recently (February '16) upgraded from a Cobalt 1 to a Cobalt 2 (after some battery and compass issues with the Cobalt 1).
I was an enthusiastic and satisfied user of the Cobalt 1 (an earlier issue with the buttons of the 1 was solved perfect by Atomics.)

I have now multiple issues/problems with the Cobra 2:
-After removal from the charger the battery indication drops immediately from 100% to 93%.
-The screen brightness adjustment doesn't respond on manual changing (DOWN button) during a dive (preference setting is on: scroll up/down)
-During a recent dive the screen froze completely whilst entering the Safety Stop depth, this lasted about 1 1/2 minute then it resumed . Back on land the dive log screen came on but the Cobalt wasn't operable via the buttons. After approx. two hours the Cobalt was operable again.
-On my latest dive; when entering the Safety Stop depth, the compass went haywire; it rapidly started turning and the numbers where everywhere. After the Stop the compass returned to function normal again (I think).
-Battery power consumption seems very high; After 1 dive (30 min, 26 meters max, water temperature 7C) the battery was in less than 24 hours down from fully charged to 81%.

The Cobalt seems to do the dive calculations correct, but I don't feel comfortable with the Cobalt 2.
Software Version on-board is 2.42
Solutions I've tried but didn't work:
-leaving the Cobalt for 24 hours at the AC-charger.
-performed a reset (via simultaneously pressing the Select and Back button)

What could be the problem and the subsequent solution?
(I've contacted my dealer via mail but he has responded(yet))

send a private message to ronr he is the aquatics rep, he is very helpful

I’ll try to take your problems in sequence.

1) The charger may read 100% for a slight while before the battery is actually full, while it’s finishing the change at a trickle rate for the last few % the gauge might not read completely accurately. Ideally wait until you see the message “Charging Done”. Then it should read 100%, or very close to, on removal.

2) The manual screen brightness adjustment being inaccessible during a dive is a known issue with the firmware you have, and has been corrected, I don’t think it has yet been posted to the Atomic website, but the new version will be 2.43. I will send you a link to this version, but I think you have bigger issues.

3) Any kind of screen freeze indicates a serious problem, possibly related to water getting into the electronics, a broken connection, or a failed component. This should definitely get checked out, as it is something that should never happen and makes me suspect this particular Cobalt 2.

4) re. The compass going haywire on entering the safety stop depth- was this when the sounder was signaling arrival at stop? The accelerometer in the compass will be affected by the vibrations from the sounder, and will dance around as long as it is sounding. When the sounder stops, it should resume function. The Cobalt 2's more responsive compass makes this much more noticeable. We don’t have a way around this other than turning off the compass when audible alerts sound. We do plan to offer the option to turn off audible alerts, though.

5) Battery power consumption will be a little more than the Cobalt 1, but this makes me wonder if it is related to #3 above. If you do not use the Cobalt, in sleep/ standby mode it should not be dropping more than 1-2% per 24 hours. Power consumption in diving is mostly driven by screen brightness, but you should still be able to get 20-30 hours of diving even at maximum brightness.

I hate to not have an easy solution for all your issues, but the screen freeze and loss of button function makes me think this one should go back. Out of curiosity, what is your serial number? That will tell me the date of manufacture.

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom