Question Cobalt 2 Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juan Naval

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi Ron,

I have a "new" Cobalt that's been in the box ever since 2017 or so. Never been used, only put out to charge periodically. In this recent periodical charge, it went into 0 dive mode and I can't seem to get it out. Up button and I suspect left button also but not quite sure is not working. I tried to update the firmware, but it doesn't even go to bootloader mode. It's unresponsive except for the right and down buttons as far as I can tell. Should I let the battery drain and try again?

Best,

Juan

Hi Juan,
Is this a Cobalt 1 or 2? I would expect it's a Cobalt 2 from the date and what you say, but it does make a difference.

Do you mean it's stuck in the dive screen? If so, is it displaying any depth reading, or just 0 depth?

The Cobalt will enter the dive screen if two of the pins in the front are shorted while it is in sleep mode, but it would not stay there or actually go into dive mode unless it senses depth. If the depth sensor is faulty and you are showing depth it could be in dive mode, in which case the buttons would not take it out of the dive. And it wouldn't go to sleep, either. If the depth sensor is failing the only thing that can be done is to replace that component. If that's not what you see then maybe a little more information will help me make a suggestion.

When you say it doesn't go into boot loader mode (only Cobalt 2), do you mean when you press and hold the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds or more you do not get the Cobalt to reset? If you do this when connected to USB then you should see the boot loader show up on your PC/ MAC. Again, this won't work if it thinks it's in a dive.

The most important question I have is if you are seeing depth in the dive screen when on the surface.

Let me know what you are seeing and we can take it from there.

Ron

Hi Ron, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's a Cobalt 2 and affirmative on the 0 meters.

I can't seem to get it to reset. I can get the compass on, and Mark with down and select but no Joy when I press the left or up buttons.

I hope this helps.

Juan

Hi Juan,

OK, so as I understand the Cobalt is displaying the dive screen on waking, and you can wake the
Cobalt with the Select key, it's showing zero depth, zero Dive Time, and dashes for NDT- that is to say it's not in a dive. You just can't back up out of that screen, is this correct?

My first suspicion would be that the Back button is not working. This could be either a bad or weak magnet (most likely) or a defective reed switch internally- less likely but not impossible. It's also possible that the rubbery keypad is sticking to the lens and not allowing the magnet to depress enough to activate the reed switch.If the magnet is stuck either up or down the switch won't work. Sometimes we see that when computers have been stored for a long while, but typically everything works fine once they get wet.

What I would recommend is popping the top cover off to check out the keypad. It's easy to do and doesn't expose anything except the keypad, it has nothing to do with sealing water out. Here is a link to PDF instructions on how to do this:

Take a look at the magnets- small plastic enclosed discs under each key. Form what you say I doubt you will see any rusting, but you can try pressing another magnet into the Back recess on the lens to see if the switch works. Hopefully the problem is just a button that got sticky in storage. If you are unable to activate the Back button at all let me know and we will take it from there.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thank you again for that message. So yes, the dive screen is exactly as you described. I wake the cobalt 2 with the select key.

I did what you recommended, following the instructions you sent, testing the magnets by rotating the keypad and seeing if any magnets are weak and all seem to be working correctly when they are on the select and down keys. None of them worked with the up and left key however.

Sorry to get back to you late on this, I was out on the field.

Best, Juan

Hi Juan,
Well, for confirmation you can try seeing if those buttons activate with a much stronger magnet if you have one you can try- see if you can back up out of the dive screen with a refrigerator magnet or something similar. Or you might be able to reset that way. It's worth a try.

But if they won't work with the other buttons then the most likely suspect is the reed switches themselves. We haven't seen much failure with those, but I don't have any other good explanation. We can change those switches here easily, but it does involve opening the case and soldering new switches onto the PCB. And, of course, sending the Cobalt here.

If you want to pursue this let me know and I'll message you with contact & shipping information.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom