Cobalt 2 discontinued??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J105Puff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have some issues with my Cobalt 1 and was thinking about upgrading to a Cobalt 2, May just be the battery or it could be the mother board. I am waiting for an answer from repair folks. I could buy a refurbed Cobalt 1 for 600 or so, I have been told that Atomic is discontinuing the Cobalt line amd am trying to confirm this rumor.

Not sure why this is posted in Ocean Concepts (which I'm not familiar with) as it's an Atomic Aquatics product. Let's ask @RonR as he's been a big help on Cobalt-related posts in the past.

Richard.

The Oceanic Proplus X computer looks awfully like the new “Cobalt III”. Also from Huish. Death knell of Cobalt?

Not sure why this is posted in Ocean Concepts (which I'm not familiar with) as it's an Atomic Aquatics product. Let's ask @RonR as he's been a big help on Cobalt-related posts in the past.

Richard.
Hi Richard, I started this forum section under our company name. We are the developers of the Cobalt electronics and firmware (but not the case or marketing), look at the System Info page on your Cobalt for our name :wink:. I opened this forum section after Huish stopped supporting the Atomic forum on ScubaBoard. We wanted to provide information and support for the computers we design, and very importantly we want to have a place to get feedback from users for future development.

The Oceanic Proplus X computer looks awfully like the new “Cobalt III”. Also from Huish. Death knell of Cobalt?
The PPX was sitting in Oceanic's development chain for many years as their "Cobalt Killer", but never made it to market. It was pretty clearly, ah, "inspired" by the Cobalt, but my understanding is that debugging and finances prevented it ever making it to release. When Huish acquired Oceanic they brought the product to market, but it's a completely separate product and is designed and built by Pelagic.

Have some issues with my Cobalt 1 and was thinking about upgrading to a Cobalt 2, May just be the battery or it could be the mother board. I am waiting for an answer from repair folks. I could buy a refurbed Cobalt 1 for 600 or so, I have been told that Atomic is discontinuing the Cobalt line amd am trying to confirm this rumor.
If you are offered the upgrade to a warrantied Cobalt 2 for $600 that's a great deal. The Cobalt 2 is a significant upgrade from the Cobalt 1. It is certainly possible that your Cobalt 1 is old enough that the battery could be nearing end of life, though. I don't have an inside track on Huish's plans for the Cobalt line- I do know they just completed a significant build of PCB's a short time ago. Ocean Concepts has been continuing to develop new computers built around our platform, and will do so wether or not they are marketed through Huish / Atomic. We will also continue to provide support for Cobalt users.

-Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom