Coast Guard Cutter Healy Deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://navytimes.com/news/2007/01/ndeadlydiveweb070112/

They violated some very fundamental Navy Diving procedures. It sounds like they were just very excited and anxious to get in the water. They mislead their superiors and bypassed some of the more tedious and time consuming safety procedures. Its going to make a good case study at the Dive school.

Tom Winters:
Reading this reminds of the Kara Hultgreen report.
Let's not even start down that road.
Rick

Arizona:
Redrover,

Thanks for posting this!

AZ
Sadly, you’re welcome.

I haven't read the whole report but I don't understand the dive plan. They were planning a 20' dive and ended up at 180 fsw? Were they just planning to hang at 20 fsw with the bottom at 180 fsw? What was the point?

gcbryan:
I haven't read the whole report but I don't understand the dive plan. They were planning a 20' dive and ended up at 180 fsw? Were they just planning to hang at 20 fsw with the bottom at 180 fsw? What was the point?
There was no bottom at 180... or 200 or 300 or 400...
Rick

I haven't read the whole report yet, but have printed it out, and will be doing so in the next few days. I do already have some observations about this series of dives.

Apparently, there were no experienced divers in the water. All these divers had very little experience, especially in cold water.

The equipment was not suitable for these dives. LT Hill was in a dry suit that was too large for her. The BCs were used inappropriately for weighting. It is interesting that the accident investigation discusses the appropriateness of split fins, saying that they "are not considered appropriate for heavy diving and lack the power necessary to overcome the drag of a drysuit. Instead, they are better suited for light diving and snorkeling..." The did not have redundant breathing supplies, instead relying upon octopus regulators in extremely cold water.

The only qualified dive supervisor was in the water diving; these two duties can not be done concurrently. There was no dive log, the US Navy Dive Manual was not there either, and some of the crew had been drinking (including tenders) during the Ice Liberty.

When "Diver 3" had to abort the dive because of a leaky dry suit, the whole series of dives should have been terminated. There was no standby diver, and Diver 3 got out of his suit completely. Further, when BM2 Duque had problems with cold hands, the dive should have been terminated.

I find it interesting that they were using FFM, that the air in BM Duque's tank was completely depleted, and that LT Hill's tank had only 90 psig in it. The air tested good. There was no CO, ethanol, or screened drug in either diver's systems.

While these findings of fact are interesting, I don't think they pinpoint the exact cause of these two fatalities. A thorough "Fault Tree Analyses" would be appropriate for this event, which is a Systems Safety methodology of looking at an accident scenario. I may do this a bit later, and post some of it here. But one observation is that with a FFM, divers rarely die of anoxia using air with scuba. Something had to cause them to loose their air supply.

Since this is the ScubaBoard, I have to ask if anyone has experience with AGA Full Face Mask a few questions. I find it curious that these divers were very quickly out-of-air at depth, probably because they had been working extremely hard trying to swim to the surface while greatly overweighted, and in extremely cold (29 degrees F) water. I know that the AGA mask has a positive pressure breathing feature on it too (or at least used to in the 1990s). My question to those familiar with the mask (I've only used it a few times, and in a pool) is this, under extreme workload, with high demand for air in extremely cold water, is the AGA FFM prone to icing-caused free flow? If so, and that happened in a positive pressure mode, how long would it take to drain a 100 cubic foot tank, assuming a break in the seal around the face, at a depth of greater than 150 fsw?

John C. Ratliff (SeaRat), CSP

It is a long, very detailed read, like a legal document but I thought well worth it. I really recommend every one read it. The errors were shocking considering IMHO, it just looked like a fun thing to do for the primary participants. IMHO it is the best accident analysis I’ve had the displeasure to read.

What it shows is the detailed plan and redundancy in place to have prevented this tragedy from ever occurring. The grisly parts are solely in ones own imagination of what the actions must have looked like. Well covered is the equipment and combined recollections from apparently a large number of people both directly or indirectly involved and seemingly endless number of errors made. It is presented in an easily followed format.

I’m no expert here. I’ll try a short synopsis from recollection including several other sources. There may well be errors, and statements that are my opinion or paraphrasing of events, feel free to correct me. If I take the time to be as accurate as I’d like, it will take a month or more. Doc Intrepid will know what I’m talking about. I’m leaving a lot left out; again I strongly suggest you read it.

Artic Ocean North of Barrow, Coast Guard ship up thru the ice gives a ‘liberty’ on ice. Respected and liked Diving Officer wanted to do a semi-practice Ice Dive to 20’ and got two other divers to join in.

A number of protocol violations later they were granted permission. The organization and planning for the dive was loose at best. A significant omission was lack of qualified surface support. Major miscommunications occurred between inexperienced and unqualified ‘tenders’ and the lead diver.

Unclear and questionable weighting of the divers as well as unexplained unconnected equipment later they entered the water. Immediately the tender’s line played out much further than expected and the divers were no longer viewable in the clear water. Possible miscommunication between the divers and tenders ensued until eventually the tenders were nearly out of line.

Another diver who had aborted earlier due to equipment malfunction returned to the site and observing the situation assumed command. The 2 divers still in the water were hauled up by the tender line, gradually at first and faster as they neared around 30’ and were viewable.

When pulled to the surface neither diver was conscious and life support was initiated. As the ships mission did not include this type of activity, medical response was unprepared and unfamiliar with procedure and equipment. Approximately an hour later both divers were pronounced dead from asphyxia.

John and Red,

Thanks for your analysis, it is greatly appreciated. Personally, I would also appreciate any additional comments if you receive any additional information.

I've read the entire report. I won't say anything so cliche as "it should be mandatory reading in OW classes," which it shouldn't. But anyone who is a dive professional or is interested in any sort of technical diving should read, in my opinion.

Again, thanks to you two and anyone else who has offered insight into this tragedy.

Jeff

What a tragic chain of errors and half measures. I really became more stunned with every page and paragraph. I give the investigators due credit for publishing the results of a thorough investigation.

It was painful to read...

The report that was posted is interesting, but there is also a US Navy Experimental Diving Unit evaluation report that is very, very interesting. The FFM was not part of the problem, except that it precluded orally inflating the BCs. There was only one LP inflator hose available for use, so it was hooked to the dry suit, at least on one of the divers, LT Hill. Here is the link, and I would recommend that everyone interested read this report too:

http://www.uscg.mil/ccs/cit/cim/foia/Healy/Number 101-218/num_124.pdf

There is a huge amount of information on this fatal dive, and it is at:

http://www.uscg.mil/ccs/cit/cim/foia/Healy/USCG HEALY.htm

Look at the "Related Documentation" links page.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom