Coast Guard accident reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlusher

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was on a boat a few weeks ago when a diver drown. I have not seen anything in the news or anywhere else about this accident and I'm wondering how I might go about requesting a copy of the Coast Guard accident report. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I feel pretty sure you can get one but it might be months before it is ready. Find their freedom of information act liason.

Brent

If the death occured in waters where the Coast Guard has jurisdiction AND where the appropriate Federal Laws apply - then the Coast Guard would conduct an investigation.

You would want to make a FOIA request (Freedom of Information Act) from the Coast Guard. Your best bet will be to contact the Marine Safety Office in the nearest major port from where the accident occured

Cheers

If this is the accident that happened off Va Beach in November don't expect the report to be done real soon. RM has it the Capt and instructor involved no longer are employed at the LDS. Why don't you post what happen since you were there.

gr8fuldiver:
I was on the boat also. Not a fun day.

I heard it was bad, what little anyone will say about it. Just how bad was it that no one will tell what happened. I'm hearing all kinds of crazy stuff.

survivethedive:
If this is the accident that happened off Va Beach in November don't expect the report to be done real soon. RM has it the Capt and instructor involved no longer are employed at the LDS. Why don't you post what happen since you were there.

Why don't you expect the report to be done anytime soon?

Any ideas why the Capt and instructor involved are no longer working at the LDS?

gr8fuldiver:

Any ideas why the Capt and instructor involved are no longer working at the LDS?

With any governing body of the USA there is nothing done fast.

No clue as to why or if true about the Capt & Instructor. Just what I was told second hand. Wrong inlet, buddy came up yelling for help, had to wait for the instructor to come back. No one on the boat will openly say what happened, so it gets passed around with "I heard".

gr8fuldiver:

I could not figure why rlusher and yourself would not reply with what happen that day until I saw you were both instructors and one of you may have been the one directly involved that day. It is best that both of you remain mute about that day as all those who carry insurance/in the business on that trip often get named in any legal action or so I've heard. Which looks like this accident has all the characteristics of that possibility.

Sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom