Coast Guard accident reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new comer I speak respectfully and say that we are remaining quiet not because the facts are so bad ("Just how bad was it that no one will tell what happened.") that no one will tell but because we have only conjecture to offer at this point.
Studying the facts and learning from this sad accident may be helpful to many and will add some element of benefit to this diver's loss of life. Spreading rumors and hearsay as well as our own opinions, without any facts is gossip and has little value save entertaining gore seekers. I would not want that flurry surrounding my death for my loved ones to deal with and we will avoid participating in it.

With that said I will comment on what I know. That day there were many brave and caring men and women on board who tried with all they had to save a fellow diver. We failed but we fought for his life for him and I am sure we would all do it again if needed.

We did not see any actions that would implicate anyone but again we do not yet have all of the facts. When we know we will share.

Well put hippolover.

Survivethedive, my involvement in this accident was that of a person who provided CPR. Nothing more.

I am not posting anything about the accident, not because I am an instructor, but because it sounds like this case may still be open, I will let the parties involved and the coast guard come to there own conclusions, without my opinion. If the folks involved, want my opinion, I will give it to them in private.

That being said, once I know more about where this is heading, I will possibly post my report of the events, leaving out my opinions, for the benefit of accident analysis.

I would like to take the opprotunity to express my respect for how all of you, especially those involved in some way with this incident, have responded to this thread.

There is really no need for conjecture and speculation in matters such as these until such time the pertinent information has been released by the proper authorities.

Thank you for your professional manners and attitudes.

The Kraken

Please let me add my sympathies as well. I know what this is like and 'not a fun day' does not even come close to what you guys went through.

If either of you feel the need to talk to someone who knows , please PM me anytimne.

As to the report taking so long, as with all govt. agencies, there is a long and rigorous investigation to go through. This will include taking statements, collating the information, checking gear, actions of respective parties etc. So you will find that this will take a while to go through all the legal channels etc.

The Kraken:
I would like to take the opprotunity to express my respect for how all of you, especially those involved in some way with this incident, have responded to this thread.

There is really no need for conjecture and speculation in matters such as these until such time the pertinent information has been released by the proper authorities.

Thank you for your professional manners and attitudes.

The Kraken

You are correct, but some stuff has already been released as the authorities continue their investigation they or the family will obtain the email that has been going around from someone onboard. This was reported from a onetime post on another very small private list I think. I dive with some friends down in Va Beach on a private boat,they sent me the email and told me the Capt. and instructor no longer worked for the LDS (local dive shop). So I went to the shops web site and they have been removed off the staff page.

One of the guys that I dive with is an instructor and he tells me if all is true we hear and any other instructor, DM, or crew who were on board(not in the water diving) when the buddy yelled for help and did not began a rescue(just waited for the instructor diving to return) could be named in any legal proceedings. I wanted to know how much of this is all true and if I want to even think about becoming an instructor(was considering it) if I can be held accountable for just being there.

So maybe I think that was why the first post came out on here about how to get the CG report.

rlusher:
I was on a boat a few weeks ago when a diver drown. I have not seen anything in the news or anywhere else about this accident and I'm wondering how I might go about requesting a copy of the Coast Guard accident report. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I look over NTSB reports fairly often and it can take them a while to get the report out.

I suspect the Coast Guard would have about the same problems.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Publictn/M_Acc.htm

Thanks Don, the NTSB link you sent is full of good information. Now if I could only find a CG site with similar reports it might be the source I'm looking for.

Thank you Diving Doc for your offer of support. In fact, thanks to everyone for being helpful and supportive. We have now learned that it can take months for the CG report to be written. One case we looked up took 4 months so I guess we just have to be patient.

Thanks again!

Anytime, and the offer still stands

RLusher,
PM me with the dates and location and I'll see what I can dig up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom