CO Meter for Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just thinking, Has anyone ever used a CO detector for Nitrox. Not one of the wall plugins, but a handheld multi reader?

“No” for a couple of reasons.

First off “IF” you are on am actual RESCUE TEAM Nitrox does not belong there. If you are on a recovery team Nitrox is fine but all of your breathing gas should have been checked prior to packing it out to an operation. A proper set up operation takes a lot of time and a lot of equipment. So bringing stuff out that is not ready to go just costs a lot of time and man power that could be used somewhere else, like finding the item or victim.

Gary D.

Don't get me wrong Gary, Im not saying using nitrox for a dive op. I was just wondering if a multi reader would work. I think it should, I wouldn't use it to bet my life on but, in theory it should work.

I’m not and I wasn’t directing my comment at you but everyone in general. There are teams out there using “Rescue” in their team names when in reality they are only “Recovery”. It just might come back to bite them hard someday as it already has some teams and municipalities already. We have to remember we are living in a litigation world.

I can’t see why a CO meter wouldn’t work. No matter what the concentration of other gasses it is still measuring for a specific gas or gasses.

Remember 21% for everyone all the time while you're on call for RESCUE teams. What ever % you want for Recovery teams.

Gary D.

GaryD: just to be sure your point is clear:
The limits on air exceed the the limts of rescuability.
If a rescue is possible, it can be done on air.
If it takes more bottom time than air allows, even if on scene immediately, the victim is not rescuable.

The limits on air exceed the the limts of rescuability.
QUOTE]

Why would you think that? Time down YES. Depth doesn't matter and that is the problem with higher Nitrox mixes.

Higher % of Nitrox has limitations that need to be planned for where 21% won't be a problem.

Another problem (one of many) is there are times we go from one call to another. Say we were on a dive planned on maxing out 40%. We just start and abort for a more pressing call at 130' or so. What happens if tanks get mixed up or not changed in the confusion. Nitrox just does not belong around PSD.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom