CO Found in Recently Purchased Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do recognise that they will probably not care and probably ignore my email, however that says volumes about the company (to me anyway). All I would expect is that they email back and say they will look into it, but I am not holding my breath.

Oh, I think you protest rather too much given the above.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2015 at 11:18 AM ----------

Leave ego's at the door, they are not conducive to good diving or quality conversations, just excess baggage and too much drag, just like an over inflated wing!

Oh, the irony.

Yes again, you could assume that and yes it would be more relevant then, however, the diver involved was only OW (from memory). (In my opinion), he seemed to not have a great lot of experience and I suspect he might not have realised the air was contaminated (if he had actually used the tank when it was contaminated). Remember, the tank had a fill and then sat in his cupboard for 4 years, perhaps the final fill was the one that contaminated it, thus he was never aware of the contamination as he might never have used it after the contaminated fill. Even if he did use it with the oil contamination from prior fills, he may not have thought much that the air was a bit funny, due to his inexperience.

You are missing the point - he says 4 years ago he got it filled at this LDS and it has sat in his cupboard for 4 years since. I am telling you some folks can't remember what they had for dinner 2 days ago but they can remember events from 4 years ago very clearly? How can you be so sure he is right? Where you there? Was it in your possession? I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again... All I am pointing out it your mate may be wrong - it happens...:D

You are missing the point - he says 4 years ago he got it filled at this LDS and it has sat in his cupboard for 4 years since. I am telling you some folks can't remember what they had for dinner 2 days ago but they can remember events from 4 years ago very clearly? How can you be so sure he is right? Where you there? Was it in your possession? I have been wrong before and I will be wrong again... All I am pointing out it your mate may be wrong - it happens...:D

1. He was not my mate, he was a seller of scuba gear

Granted his memory might be incorrect (or maybe it is correct and I will comment further later), so do I therefore do nothing?

So if I do nothing and the issue still exists, Result - there is the potential for an incident or death.

So I send an email, and lets say the seller was wrong in his memory, the LDS gets an email, they check their compressors/air and find nothing wrong. They then either reply and say nothing found, or simply ignore the email. Result no people harmed, LDS reputation is not hurt, if I don't get a reply I walk away and consider if they just ignore me.

I cannot for the life of me see that advising them of the detail and also letting them know the potential incident was some time ago is an issue.

With relation to his memory, he stated to me that he only got the twins filled at that particular dive shop. I understand why given where and what he was diving and where he lives. I believe his memory is accurate. He told me what his last dive was, and based on that it is a clear indicator as to which LDS he used (even without him mentioning the name of the LDS, which he did).

People here seem all in a froth about the fact the time the incident occurred somehow meaningless and somehow is an unfair indictment on an unmentioned LDS. I agree its less relevant now than it would have been 4 years ago, but as I don't know all the absolute detail first hand, I feel obliged to ensure that the small chance of the issue still being alive, or a greater chance that their procedures let this issue slip through, reasonable grounds to at least make contact with the LDS.

I find it amazing that people think its OK to just turn your back on a potential problem (all be it a small potential risk now given the time frame), and potentially let someone be hurt. Who would thank me if I were to come out after the fact and say, I knew detail about that LDS due to tanks I purchased and I DID NOT FOLLOW UP ON IT.

Ok, so assume he was incorrect in his memory, what harm has been done, and what potential harm can be done from a simple email with facts as I know them?????????????

---------- Post added May 13th, 2015 at 09:45 PM ----------

Oh, I think you protest rather too much given the above.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2015 at 11:18 AM ----------

Oh, the irony.

So in your last post you had most if not all of your facts wrong, which I responded to in detail.

Now your response is a few sarcastic remarks rather than substantiating your previous post comments? ----- Well done

I emailed them immediately and advised them that although it had been 4 years since the fill had taken place, I felt responsible enough to advise them in case the potential compressor fault had not yet been picked up (although I would assume it would have by now), also that perhaps there is an issue with their CO testing regime or procedures.

I await their response.

The only froth that I saw was here - all I was saying is if you called me 4 years later - I would be wondering how do I know this tank came from my shop? No receipt or proof it came from my shop - third party person emailing on behalf of a satisfied customer - seems odd to me.

But if that is what keeps you up at night - then yes by all means await their response.

If it was my tank and I found CO - I would do what you are saying. But I would not be waiting 4 years to advise them. That is where I think I draw the line and I find some humor in your attempt to rally the troops to get it resolved.
I would have emptied the tank and refilled without checking the air - because when I buy a used tank that is what I do...

I now see there are other approaches... Good diving.

So in your last post you had most if not all of your facts wrong, which I responded to in detail.

Now your response is a few sarcastic remarks rather than substantiating your previous post comments? ----- Well done

No. You went on a ramble of self-justification. Frankly, you're not worth the effort of detailing all the ways in which you are wrong in that ramble.

Let's just remind ourselves that you precipitated this by posting a thread about a shop and their "problem", which you self-admittedly acknowledge may or may not still be an issue, before they had any chance to respond and implied they wouldn't respond because they wouldn't care and then you post some puff about egos. If pointing that out comes across as sarcastic then good; it was intended as sarcasm and shows you still have some self-awareness left.

No. You went on a ramble of self-justification. Frankly, you're not worth the effort of detailing all the ways in which you are wrong in that ramble.

Let's just remind ourselves that you precipitated this by posting a thread about a shop and their "problem", which you self-admittedly acknowledge may or may not still be an issue, before they had any chance to respond and implied they wouldn't respond because they wouldn't care and then you post some puff about egos. If pointing that out comes across as sarcastic then good; it was intended as sarcasm and shows you still have some self-awareness left.

Clearly we disagree. Rather than bore everyone with attacking each other, I think I would prefer to agree to disagree and leave it there.

This forum is about helping others and providing information etc, and I would rather not get into a verbal conflict, which clearly you and I will never agree on.

I thank you for your comments, which being a democratic forum allows us all to have our opinions.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2015 at 02:51 PM ----------

The only froth that I saw was here - all I was saying is if you called me 4 years later - I would be wondering how do I know this tank came from my shop? No receipt or proof it came from my shop - third party person emailing on behalf of a satisfied customer - seems odd to me.

But if that is what keeps you up at night - then yes by all means await their response.

If it was my tank and I found CO - I would do what you are saying. But I would not be waiting 4 years to advise them. That is where I think I draw the line and I find some humor in your attempt to rally the troops to get it resolved.
I would have emptied the tank and refilled without checking the air - because when I buy a used tank that is what I do...

I now see there are other approaches... Good diving.

You are right, I had no proof and it has been significant time, and yes it would seem odd, no argument there.

I could not contact them immediately as I was not the one who got the fill, and I did advise them of the circumstances behind it all which I would hope the logic makes sense to them anyway. Had I been aware 4 years ago I would have rang ASAP.

But I would not be waiting 4 years to advise them. That is where I think I draw the line and I find some humor in your attempt to rally the troops to get it resolved. I find this comment interesting as I didn't wait 4 years, but contacted them as soon as I was aware of the details. I am not rallying the troops, rather after being somewhat attacked by a number of people for (in my words), being an idiot in reporting it and then being more of an idiot to actually expecting a reply, I felt the need to defend my position (not rally the troops).

My reason for testing the tanks was one of idle curiosity, nothing more. The question in my head was, will the O2 level be down, if it is, is it because there is significant rust that's consumed some O2. The O2 was fine, so out of nothing more than curiosity I checked for CO not expecting to find anything at all. I was surprised to get a reading.

Then the rest is history. I can appreciate that you would have simply dumped the air, got the tanks cleaned and hydro and moved on, however my conscience would not allow me to do that.

An update is that the company contacted me today and I gave them a full update as to the history, timing, readings and what my drivers were to contact them. I appreciate their effort (in spite of the long time delay in the initial reporting), and consider that they as a responsible dive company will look into it.

In spite of the verbal flogging I have received here, I think it has worked out well all round. They are aware and are looking into it. I have cleared my conscience. I suspect no one ended up being hurt.

All ends well.

I do thank you for your opinions.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom