CMAS 1* standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious how they met the CESA and air sharing requirements in a 4m max pool?.../...at a minimum depth of 15 feet (4.6 m)

The difference of depth is not THAT important...:D

The main problem is these OW dives they haven't dove.
I guess that Liquidguru as a good professionnal will refuse to let them dive, then they will probably go next door ask the other dive op if he is OK, they won't talk about the OW dive they haven't done and everything will be allright...:shakehead:

The problem in France is that you can have a french fed card witout any OW dive, the fed normaly shouldn't deliver any cmas* card untill those dives have effectivly been done.
So I really do hope that Frank's complain will make them change their way of doing.

Hey

I am a CMAS/PADI instructor and i want to reply on this item. I think this story from that French instructor is rubbish. You can't do a certification without any open water experience. It is the same as with PADI you do your skills in confined/pool water, and then go into the openwater dives where you do all the skills again.

Maybe they are certified for sportdiver/scubadiver. This is the same as the PADI scubadiver certification.

For the depth of a CMAS 1* diver this is 20 meters maximum. So no extra depths in that one.

Hope this helpes you.

Wow! I just looked at the link web monkey provided and I have to say I am impressed-what is CMAS saving for the advance course?

The fact that the French Instructor said they must validate there certification by making the openwater dives says to me that they are not fully certified until they complete the dives. I think the major problem is the language barrier. CMAS set an international standard for training and all federations (country representatives) can modify standards only inso much as they may exceed the standards. the folks in France that are not near the sea are in the same situation as those that grow up in say Kansas - they just have to dive in freshwater lakes etc until they take a dive trip to an ocean location. Bottom line is pool dives do not certify the divers. I would go ahead and do the training dives you would normally do to certify your diovers and give them your final written exam. I am sure they will pass with flying colors and you can certify them through your agency. When they make their dives with a CMAS instructor they can activate their one star rating. Most CMAS Federations would not issue a card until the dives were complete I know we at CMAS AMERICAS do not.

Fank
CMAS ONE

Good Evening Frank, How are things going?
Grumpie - They are going well thank you. As you may know the YMCA program is shutting down and we are very busy transitioning many of the Y instructors to CMAS. Still hoping you will join us.

Cheers,
Frank

Hey

I am a CMAS/PADI instructor and i want to reply on this item. I think this story from that French instructor is rubbish. You can't do a certification without any open water experience. It is the same as with PADI you do your skills in confined/pool water, and then go into the openwater dives where you do all the skills again.

Maybe they are certified for sportdiver/scubadiver. This is the same as the PADI scubadiver certification.

For the depth of a CMAS 1* diver this is 20 meters maximum. So no extra depths in that one.

Hope this helpes you.
Again I believe you are correct to a degree. Generally the CMAS system prevents this from happening and prevents the problems of titles. did you know that at one time in the US system all full certification entry level divers were just Scuba Diver? I still have both my YMCA card issued in 1970 and PADI card issued in 1971 both saying SCUBA DIVER. NAUI has called their entry level course Scuba Diver for over a decade - now PADI has created a problem for people with cards that are fully certified scuba divers naming their resort course scuba diver. Politics?

There is an agreement between Padi and FFESSM saying that divers from one organization can get the card from the other one just by paying the certification card (no training or proficiency check needed ), provided these 4 dives have been done.
--
So does that mean I can get a 2 star card if I pay for it since I have a PADI advanced and a CMAS 1 Star (and NAUI O/W)??

Exert from Cmas one star diver standards."Non-training dives may not be made between required checkout dives." I guess that about covers that

There is an agreement between Padi and FFESSM saying that divers from one organization can get the card from the other one just by paying the certification card (no training or proficiency check needed ), provided these 4 dives have been done.
--
So does that mean I can get a 2 star card if I pay for it since I have a PADI advanced and a CMAS 1 Star (and NAUI O/W)??
This is only for 1* <-> OW.

With FFESSM/padi agreement, for 2 stars <-> AOW, there is more training required obviously (as 2 stars cert as quite higher requirements than AOW), or at least some proficiency checks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom