Closed Circuit Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tips.

Should I go with IANTD or are there other options?

Thinking about the Poseidon Discovery Mk6 any thoughts?

Does anyone know if someone has ever taken a CCR course before their OW O/C course?

Thanks for the tips. Should I go with IANTD or are there other options?
:shakehead:Theres TDI, IANTD, and many other Tech agencies out there..

Thanks for the tips.

Should I go with IANTD or are there other options?

Thinking about the Poseidon Discovery Mk6 any thoughts?

Yep. I have some:

I think a better question is "why?" dive a CCR.

Addressing that will give a much better understanding of your needs and why you think this is the route you want to go. There are arguments on both sides of the fence regarding waiting to dive CCR til you have OC experience and for going straight to it if that's where you plan on heading.

A lot of it depends on the individual as well. At the very least, I think you need to have a decent comfort level on OC and with doing OC skills before adding in the complexity of a rebreather.

It's still back to "Why?" for me. You just want a lack of bubbles. Any CCR can provide that. Is that your only requirement?

When I made the decision to go with a Meg, it took almost two years for me to pull the trigger on it. Aside from the cost, considerations for me were:

I wanted a robust unit capable of the rigors of overhead environment diving
I didn't want a cartridge type scrubber
I wanted something I could easily travel with. I can put the entire unit, including bp/w in my carryon. The modular design allows me to rent whatever size tank I need at my destination and slap them on in 10 minutes or less. If I have to I can use a pair of AL80's (but wouldnt want to).
I wanted something relatively simple, not a lot of bells and whistles.
I wanted something that could meet the needs of the dives I was doing and grow with them.
Do I have multiple instructor choices to find the best fit for me and provide the best instruction?
Does this unit have a history for problems and what are they?

Deciding why I wanted one (to expand the diving I do) led me to the which unit is best suited to meet the needs of my Why? IMO, this is the crucial first step.

I believe you are making a good choice to start diving a breather as early as possible and you are looking in the right direction. But you are not ready to make a decision yet you need to absorb an incredible amount of information before you decide what to buy and you don't have any kind of baseline to reference to.

Please take it very slow, Mel Clark has some excellent books and material out there for you to read, talk to other divers, get some OC dives in and get comfortable in the water first, it won't take that long.
Rebreather diving is the only segment of diving that is experiencing growth which is great for you because you now have many units to evaluate and look at. Try dives are a good way to go although that can get expensive, better to do what you are doing now get out there ask questions talk to CCR divers that own different rigs, you will find that many have gone through at least two units or more to get where they are now.

Of course, if you just don't like the bubbles, you could always get a 100' snorkel or hose. I heard somewhere in another thread that those work really well!

:fear:

Of course, if you just don't like the bubbles, you could always get a 100' snorkel or hose. I heard somewhere in another thread that those work really well!

:fear:

High noise to signal ratio:no:

Scuga, if you have the $$ to get right into CCRs from the start have at it. But do alot of research on various units to make sure you buy the right tool for the job. Check out some of the more technically oriented forums like Rebreatherworld and Thedecostop. Take your time and choose wisely. There's alot of good advice out there. Once you're able to distinguish between the good advice and the BS you'll be ready to make an informed decision. For example: I've heard people in this thread say work on your buoyancy - that's not gonna help you dive a CCR since you won't be able to use lung volume to control it.

After having gone on 50-100 OCR dives, I decided to try rebreathers a few years ago, (Drager Dolphin and Ray-SCRs).
It was fun, somewhat noisy (every 4-5 breath gets expelled), more work (cleaning and checking), but in my opinion was worth the effort.
Two years ago I decided to try CCR, and got certified on an OptimaFX. This decision was based on all I could read about the different rebreathers out there, what MY style of diving (on a CCR) was to consist of, cost, maintainability, etc.

If you are interested, there was a rebreather workshop last month in RI, a number of the presentatins were video taped and can be viewed at:

2010 Northeast Rebreather Workshop - Rebreather World

I would suggest that you get quite familar with OC diving PRIOR to venturing into the CCR world, because as stated earlier, you may have to "bail out" to OC in an emergency...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom