Closed Circuit Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no bubbles experience.

That's one benefit of the units, you'd have to decide if it is enough to justify the costs an troubles.

No bubbles = marine life will let get closer, Photography is easier and it's quieter.
SCR could do much the same at a lower cost but restrict you to OW recreational limits.

But don't feel the need to rush into them.
Expand your diving experience as much as possible: Cold Water, Low Vis, 150 Vis, Night, Deep etc
CamG makes some good course suggestions with Nitrox, ADV Nitrox being the a must.
I'd even suggest Rescue and Solo Diver.

Once you have more experience you may find your interests are else where... perhaps you'll find a regular dive buddy who swears by doubles and changes your opinions of bubbles.

For now go blow bubbles and enjoy the diving.

Don't be in a big hurry to jump into a rebreather. You need to be very comfortable and capable with OC before ever even thinking about adding all the complexity of a rebreather.

One of the things that no one has mentioned is that if you ever (and you will) have an issue with the rebreather during a dive and are forced off of it, you will be breathing OC again anyway. If you are not skilled and comfortable with this, then the problems will just compound.

Even diving a rebreather, we still carry OC bailout rigs with us. OC has saved my arse more than once so far.

It is not a decision to take lightly. There are many opinions what sort of experience or training background you need before taking the CCR plunge. No one can really answer it for you other than an instructor. I would bet that they would give you the nod or "come back after 100 dives" by your skill level. The biggest thing that I would recommend is to learn as much as you can about CCR's and exactly how they function along with fundamental gas physics pertaining to their operation. Regardless of experience level or dive numbers, without getting in depth enough to fully understand how they operate is an accident waiting to happen. Poseidon makes a CCR that is designed for the recreational market so there are options other than the "technical" route to start diving CCR. As already said, I would definitely recommend a CCR try dive before getting too serious. Good luck on your journey.

Last edited:
I have 4 laughable OW cert dives. What do I need to be able to dive a CCR?
It depends. (Feel free to use the sarcastic thanks button for that one.) Frankly, as rebreathers have come into broader usage, 'standards have slipped'! Now, ANYONE can dive one. Actually they haven't slipped at all, but many instructors, and manufacturers, have come to realize that you do not need to be a 400 dive, Full Cave-certified, technical diver to be interested in, and capable of, diving a rebreather. I pulled as an example the prerequisites that Dan Crowell listed for his rebreather course only a couple of years ago: 'Prerequisites are 18 years of age, Advanced nitrox cerified, and 60 logged dives.' Today, IANTD's website lists an Open Rebreather Diver course - essentially an Open Water course where you start out with a rebreather. So, one answer to your question is, 'Nothing.*' The asterisk is explained later. In general, you probably should have a reasonable body of experience under your belt, so that you are not distracted by the usual new diver things - such as bouyancy control, finning techniques, anxiety leading to panic, etc. - and can therefore focus on the things you need to learn, and monitor, to safely pursue rebreather diving. As to the asterisk above, I personally think 'adequate funding' is a reasonable prerequisite, if you plan to buy a unit, maintain it and dive it. But, that is probably true of many things in scuba. There is a significiant initial investment, nonetheless.

As to the 'Why', that's entirely up to you. Too often, when someone on SB says they want to get into some less common aspect of diving, say 'technical diving' as an example, the immediate questions that come forward are things like, 'Well, what do YOU mean by technical diving?', or 'Are you really bored with recreational diving?', or 'What is it that you want to see underwater that you can't see with a single tank?', or 'The prettiest fish are actually at shallower depths, so why go deeper?', or 'Talk to an instructor before making any decision to pursue technical diving.' The advice is always well-intended, and not infrequently only marginally useful. If your reason for wanting to try diving a rebreather is nothing other than, 'Because.' that is OK. It is your reason. I actually have a fascination with them, and would love to dive them. For me, money is the issue at the moment, and I prefer to spend what money I have on other dive-related activities. That doesn't mean I wouldn't move into rebreathers in 3 weeks if I had a windfall.

Is rebreather diving incredibly complicated? Not really. Is any technology completely failure-proof. Of course not! Can a mistake kill you? Absolutely. And several posts have raised the issue, that it is not something to be taken lightly (and you never suggested that you were going to take anything lightly, anyway.) But, it is like any other aspect of diving. If you seriously pursue training, pay attention while diving, use your equipment properly, and know your limits, you can probably safely and enjoyably dive a rebreather. Go find a shop that offers a demo and try it. And, let us know about your experience.

I have 4 laughable OW cert dives. What do I need to be able to dive a CCR?
in the New Diver forum? Isn't that something a bit Techish?.. Wanting to go CCR after only 4 dives? I don't know much about CCR at all, but I do belive that [user]Cave Diver [/user] could be of big assistence to you.. ?

I was wondering because I would like the scuba experience without the bubbles. I know it's a serious thing and not just a "let me go drop 8 grand on a rebreather". I asked because I was looking for some sort of road map. I know people have goals like dive master, cave diving, or whatever. I guess my higher level goal is a no bubbles experience.
How about a Discover/Try a Rebreather expirence/dive? instead of jumping into it all of a sudden? I don't know, just what popped to mind when you said "a no bubbles expirence"....

Don't be in a big hurry to jump into a rebreather. You need to be very comfortable and capable with OC before ever even thinking about adding all the complexity of a rebreather.

Not necassarily, Open Circuit divers learn a lot of habits that have to be un-learned to dive a rebreather.

I waited a long time before moving to a rebreather because of the myths of how "Tech" they are and the cost. I found out that ANDI and some SSI dive shops can move you from basic scuba that is a prep course for Nitrox, to full Nitrox and then into a CCR.

So basically you get your scuba cert, followed by a Nitrox cert and you are most of the way to being ready to certify on a rebreather.

Now, the rebreather courses are unit spacific. I am going with the Jetsem KISS Sport which the diver has to do every thing. The new Poseidon rig is fully computer integrated and probably the easiest unit to use. The rest of the units out there are more capable, but much more complecated and training intensive.

Not necassarily, Open Circuit divers learn a lot of habits that have to be un-learned to dive a rebreather.

I waited a long time before moving to a rebreather because of the myths of how "Tech" they are and the cost. I found out that ANDI and some SSI dive shops can move you from basic scuba that is a prep course for Nitrox, to full Nitrox and then into a CCR.

So basically you get your scuba cert, followed by a Nitrox cert and you are most of the way to being ready to certify on a rebreather.

Now, the rebreather courses are unit spacific. I am going with the Jetsem KISS Sport which the diver has to do every thing. The new Poseidon rig is fully computer integrated and probably the easiest unit to use. The rest of the units out there are more capable, but much more complecated and training intensive.

Caveat: My response may be tainted by the fact that I've been doing technically difficult things since I was a kid. (Was flying airplanes before I had a license to drive a car.)

But I agree with Mud on this. Did you go spend a year snorkeling before you decided to brave scuba? Did you do a bunch of "dives" in a baro chamber before you tried scuba? Did you become a proficient skin diver before you tried scuba? For the majority of people the answer is no to all of those.

Does that mean one should expect to just be able to jump right into RB? No. But it is also an activity that requires training by professional RB instructors. And based on all the LDS/PADI/etc. bashing that goes on, apparently you'll get a lot higher quality of instruction if you go this route than if you go OC. But you can also expect a much longer time commitment and a much higher price tag to go with it.

So for once I'll hold back on my normal YOU'RE GONNA DIE routine.

:popcorn:

To put the horse BEFORE the cart.

cart-before-horse-2.jpg

Porsche is designed exactly using this scheme :) looks like it's working good :)

Back
Top Bottom