Close Encounter of the shark kind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. Also few Silver tips and white tips.

Hey,

So who is more aggressive the silver tips or the white tips? Do they get along, do they eat in a orderly fashion?

Okay I can vouch for the white tip that they are gentle fish. My buddy who was from the country up north wanted to take a close up of a white tip and followed it to a cavern. It was probably a 6-7 ft white tip and I patiently waited with my camera focused and strobes charged to get a lifetime shot of a shark attack at the entrance of the cavern. :)
Unfortunately for me and fortunately for him the white tip just swam underneath him and escaped. So anything people say about shark's behavior can be taken with a big grain of salt.
But, you should read this and decide whether you want to continue diving here in Monterey.
washingtonpost.com

Last edited:
That last picture in the slide show with the little boat tagging the sharks. Really stupid question but did that tiny boat actually putter out that far to the Farrallon's? Or is it a boat that is used by the local science team that stays around there?

I thought those islands are 20+ miles or so off the coast. So any sailing out that way let alone boating via power is a bit of a risk due to weather, etc.

I was under the impression they let her go in Monterey Bay. The article said they let her go this "morning", since it was daylight when they transported her to the dock per the other pictures, I would think it would take them until noon in that little boat to actually get to the Farrallons? If that boat could even get to the Farrallons?
Don't know, just a guess. I was reading this article from the Aquarium to come to that conclusion.
http://montereybayaquarium.typepad.com/sea_notes/white-shark/

So Kristina,

Looks like you got to dive with the female great white, when Monterey releashed her that day. Nice timing, that you dove on that day, I wonder how far off she was while you explored hole in the wall at Lobos...

Makes me want to look at that pic that Don took of you once more, I thought I did see something behind you in the dark, ah, maybe it was just my imagination again... :)

Last edited:
Great pix

LOL Mike, I think you're a little more freaked out by sharks than I am. You gotta remember, I truly believe God wants me to dive, and if he wanted to take me when I was diving, he would have done so 5 years ago. I tell all my friends that sharks don't want divers; swimmers and surfers are so much more interesting! Just stay low, stay calm, don't act like bait by trying to swim away and they'll leave you alone. Those are my theories at least, we'll see how far that gets me (famous last words, perhaps?)

But you are sort of right, I mean, who wants to tempt fate? Would I want a GWS to be dumped into a swimming pool with me? Uh, no. That's just asking for trouble!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom