Close call with wildlife!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really confused now. Sunfish are absolutely harmless. A pumpkinseed even less so.
Brim, bluegill, sunfish, all the same family. Some are larger than others. Some have a stronger bite like the shell cracker. Ouch.

Another reason not to use a snorkel during the warmer months here.
Had a lady diver surface happy near the boat 'what a great dive' she said, gave the OK, exchanged her regulator for her snorkel, BUT ! Hanging on the mouthpiece was a Blue bottle [The Bluebottle or Pacific Man-of-War] and into her mouth it goes, not so happy now.
She was diving from my charter boat and I am thinking "how do I treat this?" The 'expletives' used by her and everyone that witnessed this were as blue as this evil little thing, you can guess.:rant:
Bluebottle
blue bottle.jpg

Had a lady diver surface happy near the boat 'what a great dive' she said, gave the OK, exchanged her regulator for her snorkel, BUT ! Hanging on the mouthpiece was a Blue bottle [The Bluebottle or Pacific Man-of-War] and into her mouth it goes, not so happy now.
She was diving from my charter boat and I am thinking "how do I treat this?" The 'expletives' used by her and everyone that witnessed this were as blue as this evil little thing, you can guess.:rant:
Bluebottle
View attachment 677099
Ouch. Did she have to go to the ER? I would have been worried about her airway!

She was breathing OK, Put on O2 [in case], Ambulance QLD was waiting on the wharf and they took it from there.
Checked on her later , she was cleared by the Ambos and no need for a hospital visit.
Brave lady, did not stop her returning to diving, we [her as well] all laughed about it then, but not funny at the time.
When I sold the boat I lost contact with that crowd, no idea where she is now.

Ouch. Did she have to go to the ER? I would have been worried about her airway!

Bluebottle
View attachment 677099
From your link:
How to treat a Bluebottle sting:
  • Find a place to rest with someone who can watch over you.
  • Don’t rub the stung area.
  • Wash off any remaining tentacles with saltwater. Rinsing the stung area well with seawater will remove any invisible stinging cells.
  • Immerse the stung area in hot water at a temperature you can comfortably tolerate. Studies have shown that 40 degrees Celsius will produce relief after 10 minutes. The heat is important as it kills the protein in the venom.
  • If the symptoms persist or for stings that cover a particularly large area, or across the throat & face call triple zero (in Australia).
SeaRat

I just got back from Key Largo a couple weeks ago...the DM on the boat used too much baby shampoo in my mask...I let some salt water in to rinse out the excess....apparently I let in the nematocyst from the jellyfish and I got stung in the right eyeball...after the dive I surfaced and told my wife something happened to my eye...I used some eye drops....OMG...worst move ever...went blind and in excruciating pain for around 5-6 hours. Fresh water rinse made it much worse...took me 4-5 days to get most of my vision back...I didn't realize I could get stung like that and never thought about not using fresh water. A dive boat captain explained what had happened to me....it was pretty awful. Zoom into this picture and look into my mask
Usdiverz.jpg

I just got back from Key Largo a couple weeks ago...the DM on the boat used too much baby shampoo in my mask...I let some salt water in to rinse out the excess....apparently I let in the nematocyst from the jellyfish and I got stung in the right eyeball...after the dive I surfaced and told my wife something happened to my eye...I used some eye drops....OMG...worst move ever...went blind and in excruciating pain for around 5-6 hours. Fresh water rinse made it much worse...took me 4-5 days to get most of my vision back...I didn't realize I could get stung like that and never thought about not using fresh water. A dive boat captain explained what had happened to me....it was pretty awful. Zoom into this picture and look into my mask
View attachment 678456
Just so you’ll know, the ratio of water to Johnson’s Baby Shampoo is one part shampoo to nine parts water, for a 1:10 ratio. It looks like they used straight shampoo for your mask. (This comes from the Maui PacWhale Adventures.)

SeaRat

Just so you’ll know, the ratio of water to Johnson’s Baby Shampoo is one part shampoo to nine parts water, for a 1:10 ratio. It looks like they used straight shampoo for your mask. (This comes from the Maui PacWhale Adventures.)

SeaRat
Also due to covid there was no rinse out bucket to get rid of the excess. My wife was using the new tidal anti fog mask and she had no issues as you don’t use any defog

a group of us we're in the solomon's and we were relaxing on the verandah that projects out over the water -one of the divers decides to go out for a snorkel -merrily splashing away until the owner came out and told us about the crocodile traps 100m away

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom