Close call with a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or, thinking about it later, maybe I wasn't thinking about how much air he had because I was too busy thinking about how I was going to wrap my fingers around his neck when we got back to shore.

Y'know, you have an amazing amount of self-control given all this, especially since he was waving a loaded gun around.

Then again, since you didn't murderize him, maybe YOUR judgment is in question . :wink:
(J/K)

Just goes to show that most people who run their mouths about how good they are at something are really overcompensating for the pure lack of ability/experience in the topic at hand.

This newbie deserves a Darwin award for sure. Sounds like pure natural selection at work.

Note to self, Never interrupt evolution at work. :D

very good article..I am new with only12 dives its bad there are people like that out there that ruin it for new people like me..believe me when i dive with my buddy of 10 yrs and over 200 logged dives i pay close attention to what he says and obey what he says..call it morbid but i watch certain videos on youtube about scuba deaths just to keep me in reality check and what can really can happen if your in 20ft or 90ft, i cant believe that he had the audacity to argue with you after quite possibably saving this man's life,and as far as him leaving you, I was taught to remain no farther than 1 finkick from your buddy,i just did a dive at a quarry with about 1 to 2 ft viz and i made darn sure i was right buy his side, the only referance point we had was the wall everything was almost 1ft to 0 viz,it was also the same quarry i trained in,I'm sorry a newbie gave you so much grief and made your dive so unrelaxing..but it sounds to me you would be a safe person to dive with...I've hear alot that ppl dont like diving with new people which is why i do what im told and when to do it,hope you have better dives Thanks Kenney

Hey why didn't you bring up this story around the campfire last weekend? We would have all had a great laugh.

Because he didn't want to embarrass you in front of everyone? :p

i was told and also believe that open water cert is just a license to learn and nothing more
i was told by my divebuddy quote"there are old divers and there are bold divers BUT there are no old bold divers" end quote i see alot of other's experience and i would someday like to have their good experience but it will take time and many many more dives so for now I'll just practice what i have learned at 60 ft

I really like to solo dive and to spearfish. Every boat I use my gun on has a rule (no questions asked) that the gun must be unloaded and handed to the mate trigger end up. If I had a dip**** diver surface with a loaded gun in his hands, I would have taken it from him and shot the gun in his opposite direction. IT'S A GUN! Then he would have understood why you were so pissed off about that issue. It's clear you had your hands full (more than full). With your experience as a diver, I can see that you have dove with all sorts of divers, with different skill levels. Most are totally cool, but every once in a while, you get an idiot. Sorry you got one of those idiots. Hats off to you for controling this guy the way you did. We could be reading about this on the news, instead of SB.

Man, I'd seriously consider buying 'your' BP back from this guy, cut all the legal liability 'stings' you might conceivably have with that guy!

Because he didn't want to embarrass you in front of everyone? :p
Oh snap! I think my spear gun went off in Ben's back?? Oh well the sharks will take care of the evidence :D

Hey, I actually got to dive Saturday and it was GREAT! Fort Ross with 27.237' of vis :cool2: We tested out Ryan's new scooter boards. I like the speed adjustability.

Thank you very much for a hilarious read. Sorry it was all true. Here's to your next dive being a good one.

I mean total screw up, completely clueless about diving, YOU have to drag him through his safety stops AND he hasn't got the sense to realize it AND THEN drunk drove you home too?! Stuff like this can only be true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom