Close call with a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This little beauty happened several weeks ago. I was just going to let it go, but it's been eating at me and I figured not only would it be good to vent and get feedback but it's also alaways good for people to read stuff and learn.

The dive:
A new diver I know and I go up to a popular shore diving spot up on the Sonoma Coast for what I thought was going to be a relaxing dive.
The guy I took is a new diver, brand new (I found out later). By the way he talks you'd think he was diving for years. He thinks knows everything with all of his 12 dives so far. He has the better suit, the better fins, blah blah blah. I'm a very patient person but I found this guy to be odd. He's a very small guy, about 45 years old. He's a carpenter and I've ran into him on different job sites so that's how this day was formed. We also have a few mutual friends so I knew who this guy was but didn't know him that well, certainly not well enough to dive with which I found out the hard way.

OK, so we suit up. BTW, he even had to make a point that he was suited up first and what was taking so long. I pay attention to this stuff. At first I thought maybe he was just razzing, but later I realized he's serious. I really think he suffers bad from short man complex. More on that later. Stick with me, all these details are important.

We're geared up and ready to get in the water I reach over and grab his tank valve just to make sure he turned it on. He did, but he took it personal that I checked. A second later he made a sarcastic remark about if my air was on. He get's in the water before me and starts off. He has a speargun with him and insists that he finds something to shoot. I get in the water and start off. There was an area of kelp we needed to navigate through so I found my path and figured I meet up with him on the other side. I get out there and turn around and he still by the beach. I wait and he finally get's out to me. I ask him what's up and he said he had a leaky mask. Then he want's to know why we didn't do a buddy check. Oh. right you jump in the water first and prend you are waiting on me, get all pissy when I want to make sure you're air is on and you wonder why we forgot the buddy check. Right on.

After we get under way with our surface swim I explain to him that we are in a no take park and that we need to surface swim out of the cove before descending to avaoid breaking the law. He made a few remarks about that as well. I told him "Dude, those are the rules. Live with it!" He wanted to drop down becase he hates surface swims (actually he's never done a surface swim - more later) I'm thinking this is not a relaxing day so far. This guy is really annoying and we haven't even dove yet.

We get out to our drop zone outside of the park. I explain to him that we will be taking a heading of 150 degrees and going out ot some pinnacles. He has never dove here and I have probably 200 dives at this spot alone. As soon as we get to the bottom he bands up his gun and takes off like a banchee. I look around and he's gone. I begin my ascent and I was having a little trouble that day with a squeeky ear so it took me a few minutes. I get up and he's already on the surface and pissed at me. I ask him why he's pissed, he's the one who took off. The whole time he was waving around his loaded speargun and I was yelling at him to keep it away from me. I was really getting upset at this point. I grabbed the gun away from him and unbanded it then gave it back. I reprimanded him for bringing a loaded gun to the surface and told him to never do it again. That's a good way for someone to get killed.

OK, so we get back down and I signal to him to calm down and follow me. I signal a heading of 150 and we begin to move. He bands up his gun again and I can see all he want's to do is get the first fish. I grab him and signal to knock it off and stick with me and to slow down. I can tell he's a very nervous diver with all the tearing around and jerky movements. I noticed he never thought of checking his air or depth or any readings for that matter. I grabbed his pressure guage and noticd he was already down to 600 psi amd we barely even started the dive. I was making plans to turn around with him when he decides to shoot a little fish. It was only a little gopher rock fish no more than 10" long. I signal to him "what the hell are you doing???" The fish took off with the spear and would shooting line all around him. I think the fish got off and was gone after a few seconds. Meanwhile he's all freaked out becase he doesn't know how to get untangled. At this point we're in about 60 feet of water. I calm him down and get the line untangled and somehow the line got between him and his second stage hose. I signalled to him to remove the second out of his mouth and simply get the line out of the way and replace the reg. He wouldn't do it, he refused. Right then I knew this dive could easily result in disaster with him at near panic and overwhelmed not able to do the simplest skills that he never should have been let out of the pool if he couldn't do them. I got the line out finally for him and looked at his pressure guage, he had about 300 psi left. I thought we need to get up now. I still had over 2000 psi left so under normal circustances I would have had plenty of air if he ran out, but he was refusing to take his reg out.
Here's where it went really wrong. All of a sudden his waistbuckle on his rig comes undone and his rig is floating up and is over his head. His eyes turn about the size of dinner plates and he starts grabbing at me pointing. I grab him and get one of the straps, then the other. I pull them back around his waist and try and feed the end of the webbing through, but he had it all boogered up with a big blob of mented plastic so I couldn't feed it through no matter how good I tried. I wound up just grabbing both ends of his waist straps with one hand and started up as controlled as I could with htis guy. At that point he was absolute junk. He couldn't do anything for himself. I had to drag him up , dump air out of his BC for him plus mine, I had to keep track of ascent rate, and make sure we made our stops. All he was doing was clawing for the surface. I had to drag him down to keep him from shooting to the surface. He never did run completely out of air but his guage was pegged on zero. Unfrickin believable.
This was my first actual real scenario rescue.
We came up way far out there. I've done this swim many times in the past and didn't think anything about it. All I heard from this guy was moaning and bitching abou thow far we have to swim now and what a piece of crap the rig he has is (not the rigs fault it's all user error. The guy's an idiot-more on that later)
I finally lost my cool and told him he needs to **** or I was going to leave him out there and I'd pick him up down at the next cove after the current had it's way with him. I told him "Look, roll over on your back and let me tow you in OK. I need the excercise". He snapped back "Get away from me! Somebody will see and call the rescue chopper" OMG!!

After we got back to the beach I had a talk with him about went wrong. Basically he thought the whole thing was funny and I was overreacting. He also blamed everything on me somehow. It was very very frustrating to say the least. I seemed to get nowhere with him and his beligerant attitude.

Later I found out the guy totally lied to me about his skill level, number of dives everything. Turns out he got certified privately by his brother in law and only had 10 or 12 dives off his intructors inflatable. He had never done a simple beach dive, and when I quizzed him about skills he had a blank look on his face and told me they never did any of that stuff. When we were out there and went down the second time and I signalled to him 150 and pointed to my compass, he admitted later that he didn't know what I was talking about. I came to realize that his brother in law probably got tired of arguing with this jerk and just said "Here, here's your c-card, beat it!" Believe me, he didn't do anybody any favors.

This guy is an absolute idiot and a hazard. I say that because he has no ability to learn. All he does is argue. He argues every point which he knows nothing about. There was another guy who took him freeding several times and wound up screaming at him because all he does is open his mouth and close his ears.
I can just imagine what would have happened if he was out with another new diver.

As far as I'm concerned the guy is unteachable. He couldn't even do a simple beach dive without belly aching and complaining about everything. And still to this day he runs his mouth. He learned nothing.
I told him I will never dive with him again. I also told him for his own good and especially for the good of others that may get stuck diving with him, to take a ligitimate advanced class through a shop with other students and a ligitimate rescue class through a shop with other students before he dives again. That is if he doesn't get thrown out of the class!

Now I know (crystal clear) why I choose to solo dive or dive with veterans I know personally. I never want to be put in that position again.
Wow! you never know who is out there. Scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I assume you meant you had 2000 and not 200 psi left when he was at 300?

Also, one detail that escaped me - did you guys have a common dive plan? It sounds like you both had concrete and conflicting ideas of what the dive was about, but I didn't get the sense from reading your account that you discussed and agreed on goals, headings, spearing, etc.

The guy concerned is probably already a member of the solo diving forum.... and a strong advocate that:

1. 40m is a silly restriction to place on recreational divers.
2. 1.4ppo2 is overly conservative.
3. Agency rules are made to be broken.
4. Experience matters more than training.
5. Decompression is easy without special training or equipment.
6. Narcosis is manageable.
7. Dive Computers are for the lazy.
8. Internet self-education is preferable to paying for courses.

Just like dozens of other posters (Logged Dives: 10 - 99) on this site.....

Just as an fyi, I'm not really pumped about people touching my valves either...

This fellow does not sound like a good dive buddy, but I think there were a number of indicators of that before you guys ever got in the water.

I try to do a lot of diving with newer divers, but I make a strong effort to set up everything in my favor -- no long surface swims, sites with benign characteristics, and there is no way I would get in the water with someone I don't know with a speargun. (I'm not sure I would get in the water with someone I DID know with a speargun, but that's another story -- it's not my kind of dive.) A reasonable person would agree to forego the gun for the first dive as a team, I would think; someone who wouldn't would already be giving me a lot of information about his unwillingness to be any kind of a teammate.

I think you should be pleased with yourself that you salvaged a potential disaster. But I don't think it's fair to condemn all new divers as buddies, just because in this particular case, things went south. Of course, with where you live and dive, you have a fair amount invested in the day before you get to the site, so something like this is even more annoying, and it's easy to see how one might be sucked into doing a dive when the gear-up and entry phases told you things weren't going to go well. Maybe the lesson from this dive is to do a little more talking well in advance, so you know you're both on the same page before you get to the commitment stage :)

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I assume you meant you had 2000 and not 200 psi left when he was at 300?

Also, one detail that escaped me - did you guys have a common dive plan? It sounds like you both had concrete and conflicting ideas of what the dive was about, but I didn't get the sense from reading your account that you discussed and agreed on goals, headings, spearing, etc.

Yes 2000 psi. Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it.

This fellow does not sound like a good dive buddy, but I think there were a number of indicators of that before you guys ever got in the water.

I try to do a lot of diving with newer divers, but I make a strong effort to set up everything in my favor -- no long surface swims, sites with benign characteristics, and there is no way I would get in the water with someone I don't know with a speargun. (I'm not sure I would get in the water with someone I DID know with a speargun, but that's another story -- it's not my kind of dive.) A reasonable person would agree to forego the gun for the first dive as a team, I would think; someone who wouldn't would already be giving me a lot of information about his unwillingness to be any kind of a teammate.

I think you should be pleased with yourself that you salvaged a potential disaster. But I don't think it's fair to condemn all new divers as buddies, just because in this particular case, things went south. Of course, with where you live and dive, you have a fair amount invested in the day before you get to the site, so something like this is even more annoying, and it's easy to see how one might be sucked into doing a dive when the gear-up and entry phases told you things weren't going to go well. Maybe the lesson from this dive is to do a little more talking well in advance, so you know you're both on the same page before you get to the commitment stage :)
Your first setence is the understatement of the year.

The thing that pissed me off the most was that he lied about his skill level, experience, everything. I knew he was somewhat new but even if he was brand new right out of open water his skills should have been 5 times better than what he had. I don't know how he even got through. Actually yes I do know how, his brother in law gave him a cert card after private one on one lessons and that could mean anything.

You're right we have a lot invested when we go diving around here. The worst part that I didn't mention is tyhat I rode up there with him in his truck. I left mine in Bodega bay. On the way back he wanted to go to Fort Ross store and get something to eat, so we go in there and the first thing he does is buys a 24 can of beer. Then after we leave he tells me he's buzzed. I told him I should drive and he told me not a chance. I could have walked but I would have been up on the coast 30 miles from anywhere and he would have had my dive gear.
This whole day caught me by surprize in the worst way. I'm actually embarrassed.

So, how did you get buddied up with this guy?
We were talking about diving on a job we were working on together. He claimed he was a freediver and loved the ocean and diving. He mentioned he just got certified recently and had been diving in Monterey with his brother in-law. But the way he talked I figured his skilll level was way better than what it actually was, which was about like if you were to take someone off the street and put scuba gear on them and throw them into the ocean.

He asked if the next time I go diving he'd like to tag along and get in more dives, so I invited him. I didn't realize he had such a bad personality disorder until we got up to the dive site and got started. This wasn't an insta-buddy scenario, we'd been talking about this for a few days.
He insisted that if he went he was going to try and shoot a ling. I should have told him "no spearguns until I know how you dive", but I didn't want ot seem like a control freak so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I know more now on what to look for as far as clues to someones ability simply by studying everything they chest pound about. Usually that means they have a deficit in that area. This was an extremely valuable lesson for me in human behavior.

I actually have to work with this guy still on job sites. He's as big of a PITA trying to work with him as it is to dive with him. He still argues about everything he doesn't know about and gets under the skin of all the subcontractors working on the job. I honestly don't know how he get's one single contract.

I actually feel sorry for him and feel bad to some degree I bagged on him that day as hard as I did. But everybody tells me he needed it. I still don't think he learned a thing.
Pity.

Hey why didn't you bring up this story around the campfire last weekend? We would have all had a great laugh.

I sure hope to never meet this guy or anyone like him. It also makes me glad to have the dive buddies I do, where we plan the dive and dive the plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom