Cleo Street wreck dive in Laguna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm probably going to be in Laguna this coming weekend for a dive or two. Googling Laguna shore dives I came across the Foss 125 wreck out from Cleo Street, but couldn't find any recent reports on Scubaboard. Most posts were about 10 years old. Is there much left of the wreck compared to 10 years ago when there were some postings here? Is it worth doing, and has anything changed? Thanks

I haven't dived it for a few years, but it seemed only mildly interesting because it was close to shore. There is a similar wreck in the kelp off Cabrillo Beach. I prefer deeper wrecks with different marine life on them, but any chance to dive something different is great.

Foss 125 is still there but not an overly exciting dive. We have had a lot of white water and surge on the south-facing beaches this week. I hope it clears up by the weekend.

If conditions are good on either Thursday or Saturday morning I'd be up for a beach dive. Haven't done Miller's Reef off Woods Cove for a while; or a trip around Third-Reef off Mountain Road (although I swim out from Oak Street).

Mark

I haven't dived it for a few years, but it seemed only mildly interesting because it was close to shore. There is a similar wreck in the kelp off Cabrillo Beach. I prefer deeper wrecks with different marine life on them, but any chance to dive something different is great.
Details? As a shore dive or from a boat?

We had a few reports of an abandoned lobster trap off the LA Harbor breakwall a couple of months ago, so went out to the reported location, not far from Angel's Gate. No trap, but we did find a small wreck that was new to us. Not something to deal with, other that a quick look to confirm there wasn't any ghost net, so we proceeded along the breakwall and still managed to pick up several pounds of plastic and other debris that fell out of small boats.

Someone else recently reported an old wreck in shallow off of Malibu Rd, so I guess there are a lot of not well known or documented wrecks around here

Foss 125 is still there but not an overly exciting dive. We have had a lot of white water and surge on the south-facing beaches this week. I hope it clears up by the weekend.

If conditions are good on either Thursday or Saturday morning I'd be up for a beach dive. Haven't done Miller's Reef off Woods Cove for a while; or a trip around Third-Reef off Mountain Road (although I swim out from Oak Street).

Mark
With the seemingly never ending plague, one of my recently retired dive buddy's round the world dive trip went kaput early in the pandemic. So we've been doing lots of excellent and not-so-excellent local shore dives. He's cashing in more of his Marriott timeshare points for another week in Laguna (he was there a couple of months ago and we dived Shaw's one day, then scootered out to Deadman's another). The CDIP model doesn't look great later this week, so I was looking for new spots for us to try this coming weekend. Shaw's is his go-to spot, because it's basically an underwater playground, but I'd really appreciate suggestions for other really good shore dives there. The Foss 125 sounded like an interesting dive, and I'm not familiar with Miller's Reef or Third Reef. I'll have to research those now

The Foss 125 sounded like an interesting dive, and I'm not familiar with Miller's Reef or Third Reef. I'll have to research those now

Miller's Reef is named after our own @Sam Miller III . I doubt you will find it in the dive guides, but possibly. It is a fair swim and sits in 65' to 80' of water. Lots of walls and structure. There are triangulation points that will place you on top of it. Third Reef is just north of the very prominent 2nd Reef and sometimes breaks the surface at extreme low tides. 40' on the inside. 75' on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom