Clearlake california treasures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

recce

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have found many boats all wood though (rotten) one in particular had a single cylinder kermath marine engine dated 1910. I've also found many old bottles one find was a 7up 6pack in the wire basket. Several remote control airplanes. Lots of sunglasses and cheap jewelry. Is there anybody else here that dives in clearlake ca? I've only seen a few others in all my years 1980 to present?

I've seen 15 feet of viz and I've seen no viz. It all depends on the algae. In the winter is the best. Right now you have to get out at first light because as soon as the sun hits the water it starts greening up. You can only expect 1 too 2 feet of viz this time of year.

I’ve snorkeled in Lake Sonoma and tanked in Lake Berryessa and Tahoe.
So far Tahoe is my favorite fresh water site, but getting there is the thing.
I’ve thought about trying to dive some of the gorges and deeper pools on the upper Russian River around Squaw Rock above Cloverdale, but it just hasn’t happened yet.
I like to crawfish dive.

I've seen 15 feet of viz and I've seen no viz. It all depends on the algae. In the winter is the best. Right now you have to get out at first light because as soon as the sun hits the water it starts greening up. You can only expect 1 too 2 feet of viz this time of year.
That's funny, Clearlake

Ok. I'm not looking to start a mad rush of divers to clearlake, BUT, there is a myth about an old military plane (rumoured) to be a mustang that crashed in the lake during the war in the 40s and was never recovered.

Clear lake was the home of the great late pioneer dive shop owner Bob Lorenz did you know him ?
or current home of Ron Prevelka the last Marketing Manager of Dacor-- know him ?
He is now a successful real estate professional in your area...

It seems every lake and puddle in California has a myth of a lost WW11 airplane -- most popular is Shaver lake and the B 24 or was it a B 17 ? reported visible when the water level is exceptionally low.

Hang in and keep searching and reporting-- it is interesting

SDM

Back
Top Bottom