Clearlake california treasures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never met Bob Lorenz. He was a little before my time. I was certified in 1980 but I have heard his name before. I worked in a dive shop on Catalina Island where Lorenz and hardy where a big name. I never knew that he was from clearlake. Is Ron Prevelka a member of this forum? I've never met him. I've only met a hand full of other divers that dive clearlake. Today's find was a old milk bottle dated 1908. There's a old model A that can be seen during low and clear water here. Rumble seats open but it's so rotten if you touch it falls apart.

It seems every lake and puddle in California has a myth of a lost WW11 airplane -- most popular is Shaver lake and the B 24 or was it a B 17 ? reported visible when the water level is exceptionally low.
SDM

If it's a B17 it'll probably be in 1 piece, if it's a B24 it'll be broken into at least 2 pieces since the fuselage immediatly behind the wing was a weak spot and B24's almost always broke there when they contacted the water.

Michael

I’ve snorkeled in Lake Sonoma and tanked in Lake Berryessa and Tahoe.
So far Tahoe is my favorite fresh water site, but getting there is the thing.
I’ve thought about trying to dive some of the gorges and deeper pools on the upper Russian River around Squaw Rock above Cloverdale, but it just hasn’t happened yet.
I like to crawfish dive.

I grew up in Northern, CA
I spent 2 summers in Clear Lake with my Grandparents. My Grad father was a park ranger and I recall the stories my Papa would tell me about Clear Lake. I spent my teenage summers at Lake Berryssa and Tahoe. I would love to dive these places. Is there a group event dive?

I grew up in Northern, CA
I spent 2 summers in Clear Lake with my Grandparents. My Grad father was a park ranger and I recall the stories my Papa would tell me about Clear Lake. I spent my teenage summers at Lake Berryssa and Tahoe. I would love to dive these places. Is there a group event dive?
The one time I dived at Berryessa it was an organized coastal clean up event, but it happened to be an inland dive. Lot’s of beer bottles and garbage that the punks leave behind after partying and getting wasted under the bridge on their boats in the summer. Vis on top was maybe 8’ but got very dark and cold the deeper you went. At 40’ forget it, pitch black and zero vis.
Lake Sonoma is similar but tons of fishing line wrapped in tree branches. They never cut down any trees before they filled it so lots of snagging hazards and bad vis, no thanks.
Clear Lake is a misnomer, it isn’t very clear, it’s a sh_t hole. Mud.
No thanks.

The ocean is totally where it’s at.

Never dived it. I was unaware that it was even divable?

Damn near anything is diveable if one wants to. Clearlake was on my list before I moved, I might still get to it someday.

Clearlake is pretty shallow, probably get good dive times on a tank.

Back
Top Bottom