Clearing mask / breathing out nose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The above post only refers to mask off breathing, With a mask on I am a normal mouth breathing diver

As part of my DM training, I was specifically told not to exahle through my nose while doing any of the mask off demonstrations, despite this is what is demonstrate in the PADI videos. My instructor has found through experience that having students exhale through their nose causes more problems than not. He does not want them to pinch their nose however with the argument being it typically takes two hands to put on a mask under water.

I had the same problem. One thing that helped me was at home fill your mask with waterput it on and sing in the shower. I can honestly say it really helped me out.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I should have mentioned, but forgot, I'm pretty sure he had us doing this to train us on breathing out our nose to clear our mask (figuring if we can do this without our mask on we can do it with it on. But with or without a mask on I can't seem to make things work, though I plan on using some of the tips I got at the pool this weekend. My sister told me today that in classes she had the same problem and to this day clearing her mask is a pain for her.

Back
Top Bottom