Clearing Fluid From Middle Ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Quote from Motorcycle Consumer News, May 2007, p. 37, article "Clearing Fluid Out of Ears, by Flash Gordon, M.D., a primary care physician practicing in Marin County, CA www.docflash.com suggesting a self treatment for serous otitis media.

"I decided to see if I could "pump" fluid out of my middle ear, restoring the hearing. So I held my nose with one hand, blew until I could feel the ear "pop" and then immediately pushed on the outside (of my ear) a couple of times until I felt the eardrum move again. I repeated this about 20 times (taking about 2 seconds per cycle).

RE: "pushing on the outside of the ear", the technique is described as "It's also easy to put the heel of your hand over your ear, and by pressing in and out, push on the eardrum by compressing air inside the canal.

The physician concludes "Here are some warnings: do NOT do this if your ear hurts. Serous otitis media is NOT painful--but 'regular' otitis media ( a middle ear infection) IS. If pushing on the small flap just in front of your ear canal hurts at all, DO NOT TRY THIS. In fact, since it's something that as far as I know is new, and hasn't been tested in humans (just in me) you might not want to try it at all. But it worked for me!"

This technique goes into my 'tool' bag. :coffee:

I'm not going to launch into a detailed explanation, but IMHO there are several good reasons why this technique could do harm.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I'm with Doc Vikingo -- The potential for injury is simply too high.

According to the author, the standard medical advice is "just wait--it'll go away in six weeks or so."

That's quite a long time to have impaired hearing from serous otitis media.:huh:

Hi Tonka97,

tonka97:
According to the author, the standard medical advice is "just wait--it'll go away in six weeks or so."

That's quite a long time to have impaired hearing from serous otitis media.

If that is what the author said, it's very arguably an over simplification.

As regards that being a long time to have impaired hearing from serous otitis media, if one injures their inner ear from this technique the tinnitus, hearing loss, vertigo and/or balance disturbance could be a lot more bothersome and last a lifetime.

As a doctor, I'd don't go to the New England Journal of Medicine for tips on cleaning carbon deposits from my motorcycle cylinder heads, nor do I take tips on treating ear disorders from Motorcycle Consumer News.

Regards,

DocVikingo

That is what they have real doctors for. Someone isnt to smart.

How true, how true...!
DocVikingo:
As a doctor, I'd don't go to the New England Journal of Medicine for tips on cleaning carbon deposits from my motorcycle cylinder heads, nor do I take tips on treating ear disorders from Motorcycle Consumer News.

Regards,

DocVikingo
:lol:​

I personally use STP engine treatment and snort them up my nose. If it can clean out my carburators, it certainly can clean out my eustachian tubes. Of course, don't do this without your doctor's or mechanic's consent.

Ha, ha, ha.... Just kidding.

In my opinion, if you force air back into your ears, you are more likely to bring bacteria from your mouth up the eustachian tubes, furthering the damage.

I think many doctors use decongestants and antihistamines to accelerate the draining process. Depending on what they see on the otoscope (pus or clear fluid), they might or might not use an antibiotic.

If a diver suffer from hearing loss after a dive, I strongly suggest a physician's evaluation for rupture of the ear drum or other serious ear injuries like rupture of the round window.

It is also good for the doctor to monitor to make sure the eustachian tube function return to normal before you return to diving.

RE: denigrating posts re: quote from Motorcycle Consumer News.....

The alert reader will notice that the technique was developed by a practicing physician, with email address provided.

Yes, there are some of us that both enjoy SCUBA AND Motorcycling. Imagine that!

The technique involves GENTLE, (just enough force to move the ear drum) pressure upon the ear drum following a gentle valsalva maneuver. The technique was admittedly reported as only an anecdotal report, and was not described as 'well studied or documented in the literature'.

The post stating that performing the Valsalva Maneuver will push bacteria into the middle ear is in error.

I have personally tried the technique as I have a periodic sensation of 'fullness and decreased hearing' in my ear, due to barometric stresses during a dive, and resultant serous otitis media. I have found the technique efficacious, and the symptoms reported resolved immediately!

Anatomically, the technique makes sense. The caveat is, as the physician emphasizes, that the applied pressures should be GENTLE (just enough to more the ear drum). He also emphasizes the the technique worked for him, but that it is untested. It was a discovery.

:coffee:

fisherdvm:
....omitted sarcasm...just kidding...
In my opinion, if you force air back into your ears, you are more likely to bring bacteria from your mouth up the eustachian tubes, furthering the damage.

Overlooking your sarcasm, you appear to be saying that the Valsalva Maneuver is contra-indicated when a diver has serous otitis media.

I don't agree. In fact the Valsalva Maneuver is required to equalize barometric forces in the middle ear, and to optimize sound transmission.

:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom