Clear Skirts vs Black Skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two clear skirt masks but if I would buy one more it sure will be black skirt.
Simply nothing differs about seeing but whatever you do, you can't stop clear skirts to turn into yellowish awful colors..
go with black skirt
for liquidskin go with silver it won't change anything (my opinion)

I have one clear and two black.i dont like discoloration of the clear .
The black seams to help me focus better through the lense,light through sides of clear is kinda distract:Ding to me.
you can call it tunnel vision ,but i like it better.

I just purchased a low volume Scubapro frameless mask black silicone.
going to use it for first time today.

Is this true?

Surface light coming through a clear skirt can cause glare/reflection on the interior mask window.

Black skirt does not have this effect and offer better vision.

Somebody is trying to sell you a black skirted mask, and has run out of clear skirted ones, and therefore wants to take your money, the basic equation in scuba sales.

Black skirts are preferred by some divers such as photographers and spear fishers. If you are one of these, then you might like them.

My preference is clear skirted masks because they eliminate the notion of claustrophobia.

I just purchased a low volume Scubapro frameless mask black silicone. going to use it for first time today.

I think you'll like it. I love mine. There are "newer" low volume frameless masks out there, but Scubapro's is still a great design.

As to the OP's question regarding clear vs black skirts: As other have said, it's mostly personal preference, but another vote for black from me....

Safe Diving!

I've just ordered an Atomic mask in black from my LDS so I can retire my yellowish "clear" mask as a backup. Looking forward to diving with it.

Is this true?

Surface light coming through a clear skirt can cause glare/reflection on the interior mask window.

Black skirt does not have this effect and offer better vision.

All of mine are/have been clear. It is true that at times bright light through the skirt can be distracting. I haven't really noticed as much on the lens but rather odd specular reflections in the boundaries.

The trade-off is gaining a level of peripheral recognition, it's hard to call it vision. My wife has a colorful wetsuit and I can keep track of her through the skirt, so that works well for me. Same deal on a night dive.

On a skin-dive you can hold the "hot spot" on location for a form of sundial navigation.

Pete

Recieved a liquidskin a few days ago. I will give my vote as soon as the wind die down and I can get it wet.

I was of the opinion that black didn't have any advantage. I bought black, just to try it after using clear for many years (needed a new mask, anyway). So I've been diving black for about a year now.

Last weekend I took out a new snorkeler who was having trouble with his mask, so I switched gear with him (he had a cheap set-up; mine is good quality)

OMG! I felt like someone was shining a light into my eyes from the side! I needed sunglasses! I am now a believer in the black over the clear.

All of mine are/have been clear. It is true that at times bright light through the skirt can be distracting. I haven't really noticed as much on the lens but rather odd specular reflections in the boundaries.

The trade-off is gaining a level of peripheral recognition, it's hard to call it vision. My wife has a colorful wetsuit and I can keep track of her through the skirt, so that works well for me. Same deal on a night dive.

On a skin-dive you can hold the "hot spot" on location for a form of sundial navigation.

Pete

Exactly right!

The clear skirts allow you to see through them, giving you a greater field of view, and reducing the notion of claustrophobia.

Back
Top Bottom