Clear Skirts vs Black Skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is this true?

Surface light coming through a clear skirt can cause glare/reflection on the interior mask window.

Black skirt does not have this effect and offer better vision.

I have both and use:
Black skirt for diving in areas with good lighting-white sand/full sun/good vis.
Clear skirt for areas with dark bottom/low light/ow vis.

I see plenty of divers using either in both conditions so it pretty much comes down to personal preferences and your sensitivity to light.

YMMV

Is this true?

Surface light coming through a clear skirt can cause glare/reflection on the interior mask window.

Black skirt does not have this effect and offer better vision.

To a degree, yes it's true. But it really comes down to personal preference. Some people like the additional light and brightness from a clear skirt mask, some don't.

I personally don't like it and only wear black skirt masks. Also, if you plan on doing photography, I would highly recommend going with a black skirt mask.

Hope this helps,

:zen:

I only have black skirts as I do find it too be too bright and distracting using a clear skirt.

Using a camera seems to be a lot easier with a black skirt as does going from looking through the bright blue to under ledges - my eyes just seem to adjust faster.

I don't think I'd ever go back to a clear skirt.

I have both and use:
Black skirt for diving in areas with good lighting-white sand/full sun/good vis.
Clear skirt for areas with dark bottom/low light/ow vis.

I see plenty of divers using either in both conditions so it pretty much comes down to personal preferences and your sensitivity to light.

YMMV

My man grassy!! What's going on? We need to get together and dive again soon. Headed to Monterey this weekend. :D

/sorry.
//end hijack

I want maximum clarity for spotting fish/critters so if I can reduce any unneccessary lighting situation - that will be the goal.

Looks like my next mask will have a black skirt.

If you're spearing, go black, imho. I don't know any spearos here who have clear skirts and I can't think of any of my suppliers who even show me clear choices for these masks!

Aquanaut has a new spearing mask (relatively new)...I really need to look up the name of that thing. I just tried one on the other day and it's got great field of view, is really low volume and is super comfy. I'm tempted to try it for photography, too.

I used a clear skirt masks for a number of years, I liked the slightly improved peripheral vision offered thru the sides of the clear skirt when trying them on in the dive shop, which is why I decided to buy my first masks with clear vs. black skirt.

After a while I got distracted and eventually annoyed by the glare created by the reflected light coming thru the top of the skirt. Not on every dive, but when diving shallow on a sunny day it could be especially bad. So I finally bought a black skirt mask, I can't imagine I will ever go back to clear skirt. I am more focused on what I see thru the the mask window, not being distracted by the blurry images seen thru a clear skirt, and no more glare. A good low volume mask with a black skirt is the way to go IMHO.

Here is my latest update.

My next mask is narrowed down to a Mares X-Vision LiquidSkin.
The skirt happens to be gray. :shakehead:

Anyone used a gray skirt? How does it compare to a black skirt in reducing glare/reflection?

Greetings from Indiana! I was in the exact same place not long ago when purchasing my spare mask "back up" that is. At my instructors advice I picked up a Atomic framless black skirted mask. It seemed strange at first till I dove it. The difference for me was very pronounced and easily one of the best gear moves I have made recently. I challenge you to dive both if possible to determine for your self which is better. For me it kinda back-fired, now my back-up is my primary and I can't stand wearing my clear skirted old mask! Oh well I know where the dive shop is. What ever you do enjoy the search, don't forget to try the Atomic framless it is a great mask. It actually comes in two different sizes for normal and smaller faces. Good luck! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom