Clear Skirts vs Black Skirts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyknoll
I have both and use:
Black skirt for diving in areas with good lighting-white sand/full sun/good vis.
Clear skirt for areas with dark bottom/low light/ow vis.

I see plenty of divers using either in both conditions so it pretty much comes down to personal preferences and your sensitivity to light.

YMMV

My man grassy!! What's going on? We need to get together and dive again soon. Headed to Monterey this weekend.

/sorry.
//end hijack

Zenman-Whatup! Been a while! I'm off to Cozumel at the end of the month but yeah, I'll have to get ahold of you and maybe dive Monterey (just itchin to break in my drysuit).

My apologies for hijacking a perfectly good thread for my own selfish needs.

Well, a black shirt is almost as classic as that little black dress if worn with the right outfit. However, I think I do like the clear skirts much better.... on the right woman!

Seriously, I switched to a black mask skirt from clear several years ago to reduce the amount of ambient light entering the mask as I film.

On most masks, black silicon is slightly softer and smoother, making a better seal than clear silicon. It also does not discolor.

The Oceanic Shadow, as mentioned above is very close to the Atomic as they are both Frameless Ultra low volume masks. The X-Vision has a silverish gray skirt, and is currently my top selling mask. The entire Liquid skin line is awesome!

Anyway, There should be no difference between Black/ Silver Skirts. The main point is that the skirt is a solid color to prevent light penetration. In theory I would think that Silver, with it's reflective properties will work better than black. But Since I haven't had much experience diving either style I couldn't say for sure.

If your LDS doesn't carry them PM me for a good deal. I just got 3 of them in this morning.

!!HAPPY ST PATTY'S DAY TO ALL!!

Well, a black shirt is almost as classic as that little black dress if worn with the right outfit. However, I think I do like the clear skirts much better.... on the right woman!

I was going to make a similar comment on Alcina's first post in this topic but decided to take the high moral route instead.

Not too sure why but I find that black skirts fit my face better. Tried the same model in clear and black and the black sealed much better, might be because at the time the black silicon was alot better than the clear stuff, not too sure, but ya I find the black skirt helps me see the view window on my camera a little bit better.

Some people will tell you that clausterphobic people have an easier time with clear skirts than they do with black skirts, not too sure if that is true or not though

If you soak you mask in the same water as your rubber fins, a clear skirt turns yellowish brown very quickly. For that reason I would buy a black one next time around. I just like my current mask so much.

I have a 2year old mask that looks like it is as old as me.

If you soak you mask in the same water as your rubber fins, a clear skirt turns yellowish brown very quickly. For that reason I would buy a black one next time around. I just like my current mask so much.

I have a 2year old mask that looks like it is as old as me.

Hmmm, maybe that's why my SeaCure is changing colors!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom