Clear silicon getting "foggy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmahnken1

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that the silicon on my mask has been getting a milky residue that will eventually come off with some serious rubbing. What is it? and is there an easier way to get rid of it (or even avoid it?)
Thanks,
David

Hi David,

That milky appearance is common and is difficult to clean. The best thing that you can do for the mask is ensure that after diving you clean the mask really well and air dry it before storage and you will not get the mildue that is common with a mask stored in a dark moist area.

I use a mild shampoo or hand soap to clean mine. If you wish to get the "hard to reach" areas, near the temples and nose are, you may use an old toothbrush.

Hope that this helps you out!

Dive Safe

:)

This is a common problem with my masks. But when I asked my LDS what caused it the answer was "Never Heard of this before"? He called the manufacturer and their answer was "Never Heard of this before"? I too can rub this stuff off with a dry cloth, but its back the next dive. So I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer and was advised to rinse the mask with JetDry a dishwasher product. I did it. DON'T YOU DO IT! It nearly ruined my mask. It took 3 months for me to get the stuff off my lens, meanwhile every dive it fogged. (I dive every weekend) I scrubbed the lens with toothpaste (didn't work), Softscrub 5 times (didn't work), fine sand (didn't work), I tried various mask defoggers, none worked. The final solution to removing the JetDry from the lens was a long rub with an automotive rubbing compound. That did it. I was about to toss the mask away and buy a new one when it finally was able to defog. Now I just leave the white chalky stuff on the mask and dive. If you don't like the white chalky look, buy a black rubber mask.
:bonk:

It might sound a little goofy but someone once gave me a tip that works pretty well for getting rid of the "fog" on the silicone. Rub it down with toothpaste. It worked pretty well.

One caveat that I learned from personal experience...don't get toothpaste on the lens of the inside skirt of the silicone. If you do, your eyes will burn like crazy next time you go down.

Thanks for all the info everybody. Will just bear with it I supposed and keep up with the elbow grease and a dry towel, and perhaps a toothbrush!!!
Thanks,
David

jsdiveguy is right....... you can clean that 'fog' (chalky white residue) off the clear silicone with toothpaste...it's the only thing I've found that works without damaging anything else. Use a slightly abrasive toothpaste...not a gel.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom